MTH PS3 Won't Hold DCC Address

Good afternoon all,
I recently picked up an MTH SD70ace in the UP #4141 George Bush locomotive w/ Protosound 3.0. I also picked up a Digitrax Zephyr DCC system (I chose Digitrax since that is what my club uses, and I felt it would make my life easier while learning the ins and outs of DCC. Also, so I can get a controller for the club that I can use at home, such as the DT402R).

The locomotive runs great on address 03. All available sounds (within the 9 function limit of the out of the box Zephyr) work, as well as the ProtoCouplers and lights. I'm able to get the locomotive to take address 4141 setting CV29 to 38 (MTH sets the default 4 digit address to the cab # using this method). Once programmed, it runs the same as on address 03. All is well until I remove the locomotive from the track or turn off track power. Once track power is restored, the locomotive defaults back to address 03. Not a big issue on my home layout, but it could become a problem at the club where there is a possibility of other members running 03 (though unlikely, unless the member is running a new locomotive or is running into a similar issue, but could still get annoying).

I've tried manually programming 4141 into CV17 & CV18. It doesn't seem to want to even take the address that way. There is an addendum to the MTH locomotive manual stating to wait for at least 5 seconds before restoring power to the track or it will lose the address. I've waited that and longer, and it still loses the address.

I've seen minimal information on this issue. I did see somewhere that someone had the issue and had to have their locomotive RMA'd through MTH, but I cannot find it again (I was on my cell phone when I found it).

Anyone seen this issue before and have any idea as to what I can do, steps I can follow short of an RMA or getting another brand of locomotive?

I have seen an MTH SD70 in CSX trim programmed successfully using an MRC Prodigy (I had thought about going Prodigy, but the fact that my club uses Digitrax, the Prodigy is more expensive, and that the Prodigy doesn't support DC out of the box prompted me to lean toward the Digitrax.). That particular locomotive held it's address without issue.

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

Shannon, I have a Zephyr, and I have a fellow club member with an MTH SD70. I'll ask him if he has had this problem, though I know he continually complains about all the CV's that are locked from the factory.
When programming your SD70, are you using a programming track, or programming on the main? I have had a lot better success programming "difficult" locomotives on a programming track, using "direct" mode ("dir") on the Zephyr. I make sure the track power is off, so the decoder can get the full effect of programming. Let me know if this works, if not, I'll ask the guy at the club.
We also use Digitrax on the club layout.

You have to activate the 4 digit addres now that you changed it, on any digitrax system, go into program track, write the 4 address to what you want , press enter, and press +/yes button, not enter to activate the 4 digit.

The MTH locomotives don't like to be programmed on a program track. It even states that in the manual. That's why I had to program CVs in OPS mode just to get it to take the pre-programmed 4 digit address (the cab #), even though it wouldn't hold it.

julien,
That's how I had initially tried to program it, but it wouldn't take it that way.

Don't worry about asking the guy at the club unless you just wanna know what could cause it. I went to the LHS yesterday evening and was able to exchange the locomotive for an Athearn UP Turbine. I still have to get a decoder for it, though.

Thanks for the reply,
Shannon

Back