MR's "Realistic Reliable Track"

Which one?

Porfirio Díaz's rule (1876–1910)

Francisco I. Madero's presidency (1911–1913)

Victoriano Huerta's reign (1913-1914)

Pancho Villa (active 1911-1920)

Emiliano Zapata (active 1910–1919)

No, Mexicans are not proud of this turbulent period, where hundreds of thousands of Mexicans died while warlords fought over land and spoils. Pancho Villa is the prototype for most protrayals of Mexican revolutionaries when he was really the leader of a band of thugs that served the warlord that paid the highest price.

Mexico's Revolutions

Well, when we were on tour we visited Pancho Villa's home and saw the car he was killed in and they seemed pretty proud of him.

Armchair

p.s. Down here at the border the Mexican girl's on US side say things like "I would never date a white boy!" And a latina manager spoke of her husband as "Oh he's a Mexican."

Oh Malarky!
Been there, tried that. Called Andy, was told to go for it. Sent article in, was told by wunderkind Cody that they couldn't use it. Got it published Scale Rails, then a year or so later an almost identical article appears in MR as my 1st article. Since then all my stuff goes to RMC or Scale Rails. I don't need to be part of thier "clique".

I've never submitted anything to them, but several in our club have, and been published. It may be a question of having something that thay want at the right time. Clique? Maybe:) but that wouldn't make them the only one. the first one can be a tough one in some places until they get to know you. The old Model Railroading ran my first article.

These days I'm doing more modeling than writing. In any case, you prove my point. Your stuff got published, and from what I see you ought to have that author certificate nailed down, or close to it.

I've never submitted anything to them, but several in our club have, and been published.

I see by your info you are in Milwaukee, Just about MR's back yard. Maybe your fellow club members fortune may have something to do with being semi-local.
After all, you don't ever want the natives in your own back yard to get unruly!:D
Our club was in GMR in 2005. I think the only reason it happened was because I was fortunate enough to be helping at a layout that Lou Sassi was photographing, and over pizza I showed him some photos of our layout. Lou got himself scheduled to shoot it, but got ill and Bernie Kempinski would up doing the shoot. I still wonder if fate hadn't intervened, if we ever would have been published in MR's yearly sister. :confused:

I have a nice little collection of mrr from the 80's till now, and the older copies were twice the page count of the current ones, and you can find plenty of scratch/kitbash projects in those.
Im currently working on a "Big John" scratch build from the December 1987 issue and its actually real easy to build from their instructions. It starts at pg 129 and ends on 133, with plenty of detailed pictures (especially for us old folks, lol), and a detailed parts list.
The current issues leave alot out of what it used to be, and thats discouraging. As I realise they put alot more on the web, its still not what it used to be. :cool:

I see by your info you are in Milwaukee, Just about MR's back yard. Maybe your fellow club members fortune may have something to do with being semi-local.
After all, you don't ever want the natives in your own back yard to get unruly!:D
Our club was in GMR in 2005. I think the only reason it happened was because I was fortunate enough to be helping at a layout that Lou Sassi was photographing, and over pizza I showed him some photos of our layout. Lou got himself scheduled to shoot it, but got ill and Bernie Kempinski would up doing the shoot. I still wonder if fate hadn't intervened, if we ever would have been published in MR's yearly sister. :confused:

I belong to the largest, and the best (IMHO :D) club in Milwaukee. Most of the MR guys have been down, but we don't have any sort of "special relationship" with them one way or another. We were in MR once (A day at East LaSalle) and a few guys have published some stuff.

I think with MR it's timing, and what they need in their backlog. If they have an article like yours in the pipeline they might turn you down even if it's the best thing ever written. Happened to me once with a brass article :mad: though not with MR. If you come to the 2010 NMRA convention look us up. we're on the tour. Go here for our website: www.napmltd.org/index.html

Well I ended up ordering it anyways, I figured it was only 6 bucks so at worse it would be decent crapper material. It came in the mail today and flipping through it seemed to have a decent amount of articles most of which seem to be worth reading. It is probably more oriented towards a less experienced model railroader but since I fit that category I think it was a worthy purchase.

What???????????????

:confused:

Wow. What were we talking about? You certainly have the skill to raise the tempo of a web site. 89 replies and I had to go back to see what started the whole thing. I am starting to look at some of my old copies of "theme" collections of Wiring, Scenery, Hints to get my 4x4 layout ready for publication in our local paper. It was built/designed around what I had on hand so it was a "no cost" layout. After the track was laid, just an oval with an inside passing siding, I had to come up with some reason for it's existence. Being one with words flowing freely allowed me to be creative and crazy. Read the attached with caution.

Armchair

p.s. Check out my post #35 on this forums thread "Can it be done?"

P.S. See my post #35 on this forums thread "Can it be done?" More about Camp Swampy got built.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old David Sutton book on model railroading (ca. 1965--too dang lazy to look for it!! LOL) that had all manner of ways to do the hobby--on the cheap--as it were. You've got that down PAT!!:D:D

Back