MRC Prodigy Express throttle...

kylewoody

Hey guys,

I am running the Express, and noticed that the throttle itself seems to have a lapse in it. For instance, when I twist it, it seems to take anywhere from 1 to 3 "clicks" for the unit to actually notch up once, from say "0" to "1".

Is it supposed to do this?

Thanks!
Kyle

Well, thers alot of different components here to take into mind.
Is the decoders startvoltage set so that the loco will start moving at notch 1?
Is the handheld cab set for only 1 cab on the system?

I usually set my start voltage cv for whatever it takes to get the loco moving at notch 1 on the handheld. On some decoders it only takes about 20 on the cv as it takes the motor to overcome the resistance of the driveline and gravity to start moving, but on some blue box athearns for instance, it takes about 60 on the cv ot get the loco moving.

As for the handheld being set as the only cab in the ysytem, look at the manual or online to see how to set the cab for singel cab. I know it has something to do with the sys function on the handheld.

Hope this was helpful
Thanks, Eric :cool:

Hm, thanks Eric.

Yeah - I meant regardless of locomotive movement, the LCD screen shows what notch you're in. I will have to turn the throttle sometimes two or even three detents, or "clicks" before the cab shows that it actually recognized my input and go to "1".

Kyle

Is it wireless? There may be a communication lag as the throttle is transmitting the info based on the clicks, but the speed you see on the screen is the speed that the command station is giving to your loco.

The communication lag may be caused by many things including but not limtied to:

Throttle running low on battery if it is untethered.
If it is tethered, may be the wire
The command station may have issues
The throttle may have issues
The throttle is set on some sort of "failsafe" mode where if you accidently touch the throttle, it won't cause your loco to take off.
The deocder has a momentum set

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, lets get this straight, you have to turn the throttle knob about 2-3 clicks before the screen shows you made it to notch one? is that correct?
Thats normal for the MRC throttles, as I see it quite often on my PA2 with 2 handhelds.
It is annoying sometimes, but it does keep you from overthrottling the locos.
I know that if you are trying to do this blindly, it throws it off, but if you count 2 clicks for every one notch, it will work fine. :cool:

oh, lets get this straight, you have to turn the throttle knob about 2-3 clicks before the screen shows you made it to notch one? is that correct?
Thats normal for the MRC throttles, as I see it quite often on my PA2 with 2 handhelds.
It is annoying sometimes, but it does keep you from overthrottling the locos.
I know that if you are trying to do this blindly, it throws it off, but if you count 2 clicks for every one notch, it will work fine. :cool:

Bingo Eric. Well, I guess if it's normal there's nothing I can do then.

I figured every click you did, would be a notch increase. :rolleyes:

Thanks!
Kyle

My Prodigy Advance 2 does the same thing but you can attain a much more positive increase or decrease in speed by pushing the +1 enter key for forward and the delete key -1 for reverse. Each push of the key will result in a positive increase or decrease in speed. Do not push and hold the delete key as this will result in the deletion of the address for the loco you are using.

If you set your locos to 128 speed steps then one click on the knob equals one step on the screen. BTW I know this thread is old but i hadnt got my Advanced 2 back from repair to play with it till today. =)

some times if the throttle knob is moved very very slowly it will not respond to a "notch". im not sure why but it also does the oppicite if you move it to fast. make a fast twist and it will jump from say 10-80 real quickly

My throttle does that do. I usually give it a good spin and then dial it up or down with the +/- when I get close. The engines have delay set up on them, so they don't burst out of the gate.

Back