mrc model 700

anyone have an instruction book for one of these ? i finally built a 4 X 10 table layout and wanted to watch a train run . have a older model mrc 700 i was going to use for powering other things but since i hadn't installed a dcc controller in an engine yet i used it to power some track i put down to run something . engine ran like a raped ape when i turned the mrc on . restat didn't slow it down at all so must have something hooked up wrong .
mike

Did you possibly have it hooked up someway OTHER than + and - 0-12vDC? If not, the voltage controller may be hosed internally. I've had this happen with other power packs that were older. Not much you can do, unless you know somebody that can repair it. And it might not be worth the cost of a new one. I've had this happen with a few old DC power packs. Disappointing to say the least. A lot of these don't really use rheostats anymore. They are variable transformers with a bunch of solid state internals. I've got a Troller that I used for years on my old layout. Hooked it up and it worked fine for awhile. Then...BAM, Full speed ahead! And damn the torpedos! :(

hooked up wrong

this thing has so much stuff on it , im not sure . i just connected dc to the track . it has cab 1/ cab 2 / ac / and dc . fwd reverse switches / pulse -full power / master switch . the reostat control the dc to engine ?
mike

I'm not finding it, but does it have one or two control knobs? If it has only a single knob, but connectors that say "cab 1" and "cab 2", you may have one wire connected to each of the non-variable sides. If you have two knobs, again, you may have jumped both sides of the output.

Are these cab1 and cab2 outputs? Or are they switches on top of the unit? Pics?

Last edited by a moderator:
switches on top

there were cab 1 and cab 2 connectors at the back of the unit . i put a voltmeter on it and the voltage didnt change when moving either control . i sure wish i could find a manual . ( used so i didnt get one )
mike

mrc

i just emailed them , but as i was searching on line about a book another person indicated mrc isnt much help as they just informed him it was a discontinued model and they couldnt help as far as manuals.you would think they would be like other manufacturers an have downloadable documentation .
mike

what a pleasant surprise

was away from home earlier today and got home opening emails . received manual from mrc in pdf form .
mike

Back