MRC Genset Sound Decoder

What? I didn't even know anybody had released a sound decoder for the Gensets? But hold on a sec, MRC releases one before QSI and Soundtraxx.

I thought MRCs were bad, I don't know maybe they improved? The price is up there with QSI and Soundtraxx.

..intersting

sound decoders

I wish someone would come out with a nice sound decoder for a Genset. I have 2 Norfolk Southern models and they run to quiet for me. Just not alot of room to put anything under the shell.

sound decoders

They need to make the decoder board for it and you would have to use a small speaker. If you performed the mod that is out for these locomotives you have a little bit of room under the rear weight over the trucks. I cant wait till it happens. Is there a site that goes into how to choose what decoder or sound decoder to get for a specific locomotive?

Eric

Nope, there's plenty of room for a speaker. Look under the weight with the wires going into it. If you unscrew that, there are two capacitors under there (that really should be removed as they cause signal interference). With the capacitors and the weight removed, theres plenty of room for the speaker. With the decoder being a board replacement (the original board is longer than standard as well) and the speaker in that area, it all fits.

MRC also said that the decoder will come with new boards for front and rear flashing ditch lights.

decoder

SWEET. I did the mod to take the two capacitors out of both engines. I didnt know about removing the weight. Once the decodeer comes out I may do that since this is really a road switcher only. I will keep my eyes open for these.

Eric

I might just go for it, what the heck. My BNSF Genset has been sitting in a box since I got it, and I don't want to wait any longer until Soundtraxx or QSI comes out with one.

Of course, I'll have to send it to Mark to do the install for me. And maybe an LED install as well.

Soundtraxx will most likely not do it (it's a model specific decoder so unless a manufacturer requests it, they won't do it)

QSI said that they have a soundset for the genset, but the current QSI software isn't optimal for the sounds or the model so they're not going to release it until after the next upgrade.

Soundtraxx will most likely not do it (it's a model specific decoder so unless a manufacturer requests it, they won't do it)

QSI said that they have a soundset for the genset, but the current QSI software isn't optimal for the sounds or the model so they're not going to release it until after the next upgrade.

Oh really? Well in that case, it's probably a good thing MRC came out with this. I'm sure it will work ok.

I'lll report back after I get it installed, maybe a couple of weeks.

Back