MRC AA555 Symphony 77 Sound System

Bruette

Is anyone familiar with this sound system?

I am building a small 4X8 HO layout and I am very happy with my $50-$60 DCC locomotives, but I would like to add some sound. This analog stand alone system with speakers is only $65 from my local shop MB Klein.

I would ideally like to have something that worked with my NCE PPOCAB, but I am not aware of anyone making one.

I would appreciate any information you could share with me about this system or your thoughts in general about adding sound to my layout.

Louis

As a general rule, you get what you pay for. I have played with that system, and was underwhelmed.

That is the golden rule of shopping,

Myself, I am primarily a Lionel O gauge man and that is my primary layout. I also have a fig 8 Lionel layout on the floor that my grandsons play with.

I had some room in the corner and I am building a 4' X 8' HO Layout because I started with restoring my old HO Christmas trains and now I am getting into DCC with NCE's DCC Twin and a PROCAB I have 3 Bachman entry level DCC locomotives and with the three throttles my 2 grandson and I can each have one to run.

Having experienced the system do you think my 4 and 5 year old grandsons would be impressed?

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Louis

4 and 5 year olds would indeed be happy with it. Pushing buttons and making noise is what being a kid is about. They won't care if it's tinny and mechanical sounding, as long as the thing makes noise.

You hit the nail on the head! They have Lionel's "RailSounds" on their steam locomotives for their floor layout and they love it. I have a ceramic tile floor and between the trains clanking on the rails, the steam engines sounds, the whistles, bells and crew dialogue it drives everyone crazy, except for us and that is fine by us because they leave us to our trains.

That sounds like it could be my answer to sound for my HO layout then.

All that matters to me is they are happy with it. I have a hearing loss any way.

Maybe down the road they will want to upgrade to higher quality, I hope they do. I try to leave projects for them to take up when they get older.

Thanks again for your help.

Louis

I have an update

I wrote to NCE and asked if they had any plans to make an external stand alone sound system like SurroundTraxx.

Here is the reply: "No, we are not considering making a device like the SurroundTraxx by SoundTraxx. However, you could purchase a QSI Titan decoder and wire it to your track, then connect a speaker or two to it. As it is a decoder, you could make its address the same as a locomotive, then the sounds will react the same as the loco.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "Larry Larsen
NCE Customer Service

I think that is a great solution and as far as I know you could use any sound decoder.

Louis
[/FONT]

Back