Mp15dc

hamltnblue

This will sound like a dumb question to some. :rolleyes:
I just acquired an Atlas Gold MP15DC and it's a beauty.

Something caught me off guard though.
When selecting forward the headlight on the side away from the cab lights and of course reverse the cab headlight comes on. Is the cab side of this engine the rear? and if so is it for visibility when hooking up?

Just look for the "F" on the sideframe. That should match up with the headlight behavior. Every railroad has different ideas of what front means with end cab switchers.

Thanks. So does that mean that the same model engine can have a different front/back depending on the railroad it's on?

Interesting. I wonder if Atlas took that into consideration with the engineer direction in the cab with the different RR's or if they picked the ones that used the same direction

Well they got the lights wrong on the SP ones other then the lights they are a very good looking and well running unit.

2690.jpg

26901.jpg

Interesting. I wonder if Atlas took that into consideration with the engineer direction in the cab with the different RR's or if they picked the ones that used the same direction
If past history is an indicator, they put any crew figures facing the direction most railroads would consider front-facing. On a switch engine that's usually, but not always, the long hood.

Sometimes they wire every engine the same regardless of road name and number and other times they get it exactly right. My UP P2K GP-7 is wired for the long hood to be the front. I was sure Walthers had made a mistake but, on further research, the first orders of GP-7's were set up for long hood front operation. This only lasted about five months, when the second and subsequent orders of GP-7's were set up for short hood front operation. The first order was modified for short hood front operations to standardize things but, since Walthers was modeling this first order as new, long hood front operation is correct, even if it lasted only five months. OTOH, the first units were delivered with Pyle Gyralites and those didn't get added, the same as Don's engine lacks the correct SP light cluster. Go figure. :)

Thanks again. Interesting that something like that isn't standardized. Something new to add to the slowly growing RR knowledge.:D

Just an observation, I guess another way to tell which way is front is to look at the direction the air horns are facing. :rolleyes:

If past history is an indicator, they put any crew figures facing the direction most railroads would consider front-facing. On a switch engine that's usually, but not always, the long hood.
One exception. Most BN yards ran the SW's as Cab forward, hood facing into the yard. But the horns faced the yard.. So it basically made no sense.

My Silver Atlas MP-15DC in CSXt has the figures facing the hood & the main headlite is in the hood. There's no antenna on the roof of mine.

Larry

I noticed after my last post that the horns were not installed before shipment and came in a small bag. Did you install yours Larry? :)
Looking more into it I've seen several different Horn config's some with a single horn facign the opposite way and others re-located after a roof AC unit was installed.

The horn direction may or may not mean anything. If it's a single or two chime horn facing one direction, you can be pretty sure that was the direction the engine usually ran. A lot of engines, even those that almost never ran with the long hood first, still had four and five chime horns with at least one or sometimes two chimes facing the rear. The legend is that the rear facing chimes increased the Doppler effect and actually made the horns louder to the human ear than if all the chimes faced forward. Other railroads used horns with all chimes facing forward so I have no idea what the real story is.

I noticed after my last post that the horns were not installed before shipment and came in a small bag. Did you install yours Larry? :)
Looking more into it I've seen several different Horn config's some with a single horn facign the opposite way and others re-located after a roof AC unit was installed.

yes, I installed mine. Mine had figures in the cab facing the hood.
Does your Gold series have figures in it? I also had to install the front & rear hand rails, the MU coupler & the lift up step.

Larry

Back