More Progress on the Iowa St. Railroad Club

Here's a few more pictures after today.

1. More track laid for the spur to the new spot for the gravel dealer.
2. The new spot for the gravel dealer which will be the Walthers HO Bulk Transfer Conveyor.
3. Update on the first small section of scenery.
4. New scenery!

Still planning the approach for the branch to go over the mainline. Hopefully I'll make progress on that sometime this weekend.

Joel

HEY clyde do you need some trees?? I have almost a 500 sitting here collecting dust. you pay the shipping and there yours.
I made them about 5 years ago for my other layout, they still look bran new.

let me know Ewan

That would be great, just let me know how you'd like me to pay you. That's one thing I wanted to add but the club doesn't have any.

Here's the base for the approach for the branch line to go over the mainline. I don't think it will be too much grade what does eveyone else think? I should be able to get some plaster cloth on Friday to finish it up.

Well, what is it in percentage terms? Anything over 2% would start being a problem, especially if it's curved. On a branch line with short trains you'd be able to get away with more, though.

A couple of recommendations - I'm not sure if the ground cover you've put down is permanent, but you will use less if you paint the foam before you lay that ground cover. Second, I would recommend grabbing a Woodland Scenics riser kit to get a smooth and gradual rise that will be a very consistent base for the plaster cloth. The risers are not that expensive and in the case of track bed, a small investment saves a big re-do later (voice of experience here, lol). Progress is looking good!

Pictured is a 4% riser kit, they also have 2 & 3% kits as well. List price is ~$7.00 US...

st1413_f_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Sadly I don't have 8 ft of room to bring it up to 4 inches so no bridge for me, I have another plan for elavation changes that willhelp separate the mainline from the yard/staging area.

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've given any updates. I finally was able to get more supplies so I've gotten quite a bit done.

Here's a treat, a few weeks ago somebody in the Ames area donated a Lionel set. All the pieces are there but I don't think it is operational. It would be awesome if we could get it fixed but no promises, still very cool anyway.

Thanks guys. Sadly I don't have 8 ft of room to bring it up to 4 inches so no bridge for me, I have another plan for elavation changes that willhelp separate the mainline from the yard/staging area.

How about digging down a little into the foam? to get your clearance?

Here's a few more pictures.

1. A few switch throws installed. Since I didn't have them when I started laying track some are on the wrong side but that can be dealt with.
2. More cork laid in the staging/yard area.
3. The future engine facility.

Back