Monthly Photo Fun October

Figured I'd go ahead and start Octobers Photo Fun Thread. After a couple of years staring at the area I was going to put my downtown in, I finally just said "to heck with it" and just plowed ahead. I still have to light the insides of the buildings and get some trees in there but for the most part it's done enough that if I want to just look at it for a couple of more years it will at least look like a downtown.

Attachments

• Train Depot.jpg
    Train Depot.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Downtown Picture 1.jpg
    Downtown Picture 1.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 247
  • Downtown Picture 2.jpg
    Downtown Picture 2.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by a moderator:
I took four pictures so I might as well post the fourth. The construction of the downtown is all modular. I may get all of my pictures together for this project and do a separate thread.

View attachment 58872

Attachments

• Downtown 3.jpg
    Downtown 3.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 230
Yes, you've captured that downtown feel. The 4th pic came up as Invalid Attachment unfortunately.

souleman1948 .... Very nice downtown scenes. !

Here is an E5 ready to depart from Union Station.

E5UnionStation1.jpg

Nice photos. I really like town scenes. I would like to have done a nice urban scene, but I model quite a rural area so my town can't be too latge.

IMAG0709.jpg IMAG0713.jpg

IMAG0706.jpg IMAG0711.jpg

This is a work in progress. More figures and signs have to be added along with street lights and other details.

Garry - Sweet photo. Post some of your city scenes.

Thanks Garry and tutnkumin. Chet, I love your stuff. I need more cars! Trouble is that it takes a king's ransom to get cars and trucks from the 40's and 50's. Oh well, it's only money I guess.

Yes vehicles can get expensive but I have been collecting them for over 25 years. Some of the newer offerings from Classic Metal Works have been excellent. I have been picking some of them up on Amazon, but MB Klein has some decent prices. My problem is that If I find a good quality vehicle that will fir my era that I don't have yet, I have a tendency to get it no matter what the price is.

Vehicles are one of the easiest ways to set the time period of a layout.

Chet .... I definitely like your photos. The vintage vehicles bring back memories.

As you requested.... More city scenes.
CommuterTrainHUS_zps5ff1759a.jpg

DowntownHeartland4_zps9b2bfeaf.jpg

DowntownHeartland1_zps96f8e12b.jpg

DowntownHeartland9_zpsfe5323be.jpg

GAD !! Compared to what has been posted, mine looks like a plywood central... Oh well, Downtown Defar on a Friday night ....

29895813700_a0852de3ec_b.jpg

All buildings have lights in them and the street lights do work. Those are Miller Signs and they do move. there is a later bunh of work done on this scene with cars which have working head and taillights but I haven't got that one done yet.

With the Canon working as good as it is now, I might be able to get a night scene of this totally lit by it's own sources....

Later ..

Catch ya track side ..

The Aerojet

Garry,
Your track work is awesome. I'm guessin' your layout is quite a bit bigger than my 5 x 11 layout. If it isn't you've done some remarkable work and display. That's what's so fun about this forum. I may not post too often but I visit regularly. Aerojet I'm looking forward to seeing you downtown lit up.

Mike

Souleman - Actually it is built out of a Woodland Scenics Kit -- River Pass. It began as a 4 x 8 and is now 5 x 8 with the yard addition. Will post out how i expanded it shortly. i think I have found enough stage by stage photos to use .. thanks, for the interest!

The Aerojet

Aerojet ... Your downtown scene looks great to me.

Mike... Thanks for commenting .... The layout is in a room 64' x 12' .

I got some trees up on my downtown. The first is just an overview. In the back is the "lake up north". Foreground is downtown. Two sections to go. Next to downtown will be residential and where the flashlight is will be industrial. The depot is my favorite shot so far. The depot has 3 LED's in it. I had to drill holes in the sidewalk in front of the building to get to the roof of the overhang. Put two of the LED's so that they would glow through the roof holes and look like overhead lighting. I was pretty happy how it turned out. I haven't covered the holes in the sidewalk with anything but they can't be seen so I might leave them be. Now I just need the people. They won't be here for another week or two.

Attachments

• Train Downtown Progress 15.jpg
    Train Downtown Progress 15.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Train Downtown Progress 16.jpg
    Train Downtown Progress 16.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 193
On a moonlit might, these could be what you are looking for -- both are intermediate photos, compare this with the finished down town and you will see what happens as I work along, taking pix as I go ...

Defar at night ...

30143442302_fd35299f9a_b.jpg

Meanwhile over in the industrial part of town things are cooking ....

30143441902_6c88817839_b.jpg

Note the welding going on in building 2 in this part of town. Also welding going on down in the yard... later photos ...

Enjoy!

The Aerojet

Aerojet, the night time photos are really good. Some day I'll get my butt in gear had get my lighting done. Have all of the street lights sitting in a box waiting to get installed.

Willie, you've been holding out on use. Great photo.

Here's another photo of consolidation 184 entering the yard lead with a local freight.

IMAG0222.jpg

I got to get some of the new Woodland vehicles with operating headlights...they should really liven up the layout! Hoping to be able someday to operate the layout with the overhead lights turned off.

Thanks.

Greg

The people have arrived in downtown. And I have lit up some of my buildings.

Attachments

• Train Downtown Progress 19.jpg
    Train Downtown Progress 19.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Train Downtown Progress 20.jpg
    Train Downtown Progress 20.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 158

Back