Modular planning; How Large?

GeocaverDan

I'm creating an On30 mining modular system to set up at schools, libraries etc. The question is how big can we build one and still be useful for demonstration? I see many look like their about 2'x3' which seem very small. We will have at least two persons to set-up, is 3'x6' workable? Has any one done that size or larger?

I think NMRA suggests a standard of 2 X 4 feet for HO scale. I'm not sure about On30 sizes. Either way, that's where I recommend starting.

I don't know too much about modular setups; however, I would imagine the only restriction to size of the module would be it's weight and manageability. I would also imagine, if there are two of you, then something as large as a 3' X 6' could be viable. You would have to have a fairly solid platform for it though.

Are you planning to add your display to a larger set up, with others at some point? If so, you may need to find out about On30 modular standards. Otherwise, I'd say 'do what works for you.' If you're going to be setting up in places like libraries, and community centers, etc, keep in mind that you may need to place the modules in stairways, and elevators, to get it to where your display is going to be.

Several factors need to be covered setup and taredown and moving the in your truck or van and if you plan to move them often from one place to another you may want to place some sort of tie down point on it to make sure the don't. slide around and. get damaged

I'm creating an On30 mining modular system to set up at schools, libraries etc. The question is how big can we build one and still be useful for demonstration? I see many look like their about 2'x3' which seem very small. We will have at least two persons to set-up, is 3'x6' workable? Has any one done that size or larger?

3' x 6' is workable w/ 2 people but 2' x 4' is much easier all around. There's several On30 modular clubs out there so try to find a few & get their "standards".

I am in HO and made myself two 5 x 4's. It is manageable and makes for a larger radius. I used 1 x 4 for the frame, 1 x 2 for legs (built some sockets per NMRA.

Bill

Thank You Everyone. I have downloaded some standards from a Central California club that many other clubs go off of. I believe my first module will be a underground mine i.e. Knott's Berry Farm's glory hole in a 30"-32"x 48"-60" module. I'm starting my drawings and ordering supplies now and will start construction in the fall (after I finish building my shop).

Back