Modifying the 2007 Space Mouse Contest Winner

HaggisKennedy

Coal Shoveler
As I mentioned elsewhere, I've decided to replace one of my 4x8 modules with Space Mouse's 2007 4x8 Contest winner. So, now I've been looking at how to integrate that trackplan with the existing module that will remain. That module was also a 'stand-alone' trackplan, but I modified it slightly so that it would connect with the trackplan on the module that I will be removing.

The main issue to overcome is that the remaining module is a two-level trackplan. It's actually based on MR's NMRA 4x8 convention layout, the Valley Forge convention. The biggest change to that plan was how to connect the lower level with the upper; instead of the 'on table' 5% grade, I modified the plan to have the connection run on the outside of the 4x8. This gives nearly a 200" run to gain 4". Which is 2% grade, though it's actually more because of the curve, which will make it a steeper compensated grade. This connector runs clockwise on the module.

Chip's plan, as posted on his site, is point-to-point (with a roundy-round), starting in a yard, and ending in a town. The plan, as drawn, is Counterclockwise travel out of the yard. It's easy to connect his plan to my existing module, but by doing so, the trains are travelling counterclockwise, while the connector to the upper level goes clockwise. Which means the train has to change direction somehow.

Since there's really no practical way to do that, I downloaded a copy of Chip's plan, and used Paint Shop Pro to make a mirror image of it. Now, Chip's plan will have trains leaving the yard in a clockwise manner, and once it gets onto the existing module, it can connect with the connector and make it up to the upper level.

The upper level, BTW, is a switching level. There's a siding, 4 industries, plus a 3 track storage yard. The switching lead has a capacity of 9 cars (not including the power). Makes for interesting operations. The lower level is a two-track mainline, normally current of traffic setup, but can go 'against the flow'. There are a couple of crossovers, which will allow the inside loop to switch over to the outside loop, to connect with the other module. Based on my railfan adventures, this is prototypical. This alllows for one big roundy-round over an "L" shaped trackplan. For 'mainline, run through' trains.

The only nonprototypical aspect of connecting Chip's plan to the existing module is one of the connectors between the two. That connector will have to have a crossing at grade with the connector to the upper level. Not really prototypical (as in, I've never seen it), but for space reasons, unavoidable.

When I considered how this would run, I could easily see 2-3 operators, maybe 4. The 4th guy would be the host, he would run the roundy-rounds. One guy would run the yard, one guy would run the local that will work the industries on Chip's layout, and one guy would run the local that would move trains to the upper level switching layout. All this on a 12x8 Island layout.

Here's a question. As I modify these track plans, which were done by other people, can I post them here? I know the moderators frown on posting copies of other folks' work, but mainly, I'm thinking marked-up copies.....

:D

Kennedy

It would take one of the moderators to answer that, but what could be wrong with it as long as you declare that you modified xxxx's plan.:confused:

I'd go along with Rex. give credit to the original author. IMHO the modified plan is yours. Basically all this will do is prevent any mud slinging, If I'm wrong Bob will correct us :rolleyes:

Willis

Back