Modern grain mill

AL1

Shortliner
I was planning to make a small diorama, which features a peanut mill as the central feature. The main building will be the Pikestuff Milton corporation, but I am trying to decide how I can build the structure that loads covered hopper cars. I was going to use the Walther's surge bin from their modern grain kits (here), but I was not sure if the bottom structure was tall enough to run a track and load a car under. Does anyone have suggestions for what I could use to represent the car loading portion of the mill?

You would have to build new supports to raise it. You could add a simple shelter to load cars under:

IMG_2736.png

I would agree with Dave. Build a shed to load the cars in. You could then place the surge bin on top of the building. In the real world you would have to continue the supports through the shed. But, in this world you can just set it on top and glue it in place.

I measured my grain dryer (the one they picture under the surge bin) and it is 2 3/8" tall. I placed it next to one of my covered hoppers on code 100 rail and the dryer is slightly taller than the car on the rail. So the surge bin may give you enough clearance. If not you can always add concrete footings to get the extra 1/4" or so you need.

I measured my grain dryer (the one they picture under the surge bin) and it is 2 3/8" tall. I placed it next to one of my covered hoppers on code 100 rail and the dryer is slightly taller than the car on the rail. So the surge bin may give you enough clearance. If not you can always add concrete footings to get the extra 1/4" or so you need.

I think that is an excellent idea, not sure I could pull off scratchbuilding a loading shed..

Hmm, I just saw the Walthers dimensions are at 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" for the base, which would be a tight squeeze for the car and track. Not sure if that would work or not without more modification.

Back