Models are never finished

Charles Smiley

cspmovies
ASHCAN-2-SMALL.jpg

A few years ago (2008) I bought these two GP9s that were old Lifelike P2000 models.

I re-decaled and detailed them for the SP and added the full SP light group at both ends. These were some of SP's units with dual cab controls and they have the wings on both ends.

But The large "ashcan" lights never worked until I changed the DCC decoders over to LokSound and added a large speaker and the "keep alive" power modules. My friend milled the frames to accommodate these add-ons. I used the LokSound Aux-6 decoder. The ashcans are Details West metal pieces that I hogged out the light cavity and drilled a tiny hole up through the mounting bracket area into the cavity to pass a pair of #30 wires. I used small surface-mount LEDs in "warm" white.

The large MV lenses have a small hole in the back-plating to let the light out. The AUX 1 decoder output was set to the Mars light flashing style. Now the entire light group works.

I noticed the horns are in the wrong location and I need to fix that and add armrests and wing-wings on the cab windows.

The point is that I noticed my habit of re-visiting many of my models and upgraded them several times over the decades as my tastes change and modeling techniques improve. It makes the hobby less static and more satisfying. Perhaps others here have similar stories.

FRAME-SMALL-2.jpg

FRAMES-SMALL-1.jpg

ASHCAN-1-SMALL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles ... Thank you for this post. What you have done to these models is simply outstanding.
Just goes to show why this is such a great hobby!

Think I will go open a box, or two, and attempt a little "touch up" work that was never completed.

I definitely agree! My layout is always changing and being updated. If not actively happening, it's being planned in my mind. Part of reason is I almost always envision more at the start then what I end up doing. Then I come back later and add, modify or change around. Think about it, you get the pleasure of doing what you like again and again with very little cost. Many of my recent projects are other peoples cast off from flea markets and swap meets. It's not what you start with but what you end up with.
Charles - very nice looking pair of diesels you got there.

Gary this is correct. And all the while we are becoming that future flea market cast off collection - hopefully in the far distant future. :)

I spent many years restoring old cars. Some I kept for almost 20 years before selling them off. In that length of time you face the drudgery of restoring much of your work several times over - Ugh!

But with models it's actually a pleasure and blessing by comparison.

Great thread Charles!

I don't YET do scenery or cosmetic work on my equipment, but I have a few boxes full of stuff in various stages of mechanical restoration and upgrades.

I do my best planning when I lay in bed at night before I fall asleep. My only problem is I fall asleep too fast! How is that of a good problem? I love this hobby!

Some of my most treasured items are or were castoffs picked up at swapmeets and rebuilt or used to rebuild others into what I wanted at that time. Imagination and a little creativity are the most valuable tools.

Steve

Back