Model train layouts: Diesel VS Steam

I'm 66, and I enjoy being an Old Fart.

The only problem I have is when I'm admiring a Cute Young Thing and the thought suddenly strikes me that, if I'm very very lucky and the wind is at my back, she'll think I'm harmless.

Don't worry, once you hit 50 you're invisible to "cute young things", so you won't spook 'em. :)

I saw the comments on the smoke yesterday on the phone but really hate trying to reply on it. Takes too long.

When I was growing up, I got to ride on a couple of Northern Pacific steamers. One was the Z-5 Yellowstone. One of its last duties was being used for helper service over Bozeman Pass. That sucker was always belching smoke climbing the 1.8% grade. On the other hand, I also got to ride in a Challenger between Livingston and Helena, MT. I can remember my uncle telling me about how you wanted as little smoke as possible when going through towns. I also remember him chewing out the fireman if there was too much.

Now that must have made for some amazing experiences! I've seen those lines, but not in the steam era.

You always want as little smoke as possible. Smoke is un-burned fuel, which is a waste of money. However, sometimes you have to "run rich" to get your fire where you want it to be. In that case, you make smoke, though as little as you can. A Challenger in helper service would be working pretty much to full capacity in most cases, so, yeah, lots of fuel being used and lots of smoke being made.

Don't worry, once you hit 50 you're invisible to "cute young things", so you won't spook 'em. :)
I couldn't care less about spooking them, it's just that I can't outrun the cops that they might call.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The only thing I can use, to form my opinion, is what I see in videos. I supposed that the steam engine not having been around for almost 60 years might have something to do with this. However, it sure seems to me that diesel has surpassed steam, as the choice of modelers. Manufacturers produce more diesels than steam locomotives by a fairly large percentage and now that we all have the opinion that we must have actual designed models for the road we model, makes steam locomotives a chancy investment for the manufactures. USRA designs pretty much pervade steam engine offerings. However, I'm of the opinion that today's modelers really aren't interested in modeling the steam or transition era, anyway!

What do you think?
Just found this subject thread, and I am sure its going to be interesting to read thru it when i have a bit more time.

I am a STEAM fan. The locos have such individual 'personality'. Of course over the years they have gotten to be much more reliable as operating models that they use to be, And the sound aspect,...just great.

I once saw a quote, 'diesel locos are just a motor in a box'. Does ring true at times, but please don't chastise me for saying so, I'm just repeating an old quote :)
They sure run reliably these days, and the lighting and sound, and consisting effects are great as well.

Of course over the years they have gotten to be much more reliable as operating models that they use to be, And the sound aspect,...just great.

This opinion is where we part ways! I feel they are much less reliable now, than my old kit built steamers. However, thanks very much for bringing the topic this thread was started for, back to the forefront!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This opinion is where we part ways! I feel they are much less reliable now, than my old kit built steamers.
You don't feel that the more modern can motors, DCC control of those motors, and the all wheel electrical pickups have made these new steam locos more reliable??

The things you list are good improvements,however, It's my opinion that mechanically the new steam locomotives are inferior.

From post #91:

I model a specific Railroad on a specific date. The date I chose allows me to run Steam and Diesels (the transition). However, the high cost of steamers and the fact that it appears that many of the manufacturers of steam locomotives believe that detail trumps mechanical soundness. I postulated this thread based on my opinion of the previous statement! My opinion stems from these facts: I have owned older MDC Roundhouse, Bowser, kit built locomotives I built that performed excellently over the period of many years that I owned them. I have one Varney Dockside that is probably 55/60 years old that is still operating. The rest of my steamers are recent purchases (recent meaning within the last 15 years). These are Bachmann, Walthers, and Broadway Limited Import examples and are very nicely detailed locomotives that I have maybe gotten two years of very limited operation from, before they suffered serious operational problems!

I don't want smoke, because the smoke looks like smoke from a cigarette and I wouldn't want smoke even if it looked right! My small basement doesn't need a smoke haze in it. However, it is unfair to single steam out for this, as diesels also smoke! However, I've only seen O scale diesels with smoke.

Because of the difficulties I have had with steam, at times I have considered moving forward just a few years, as by 1958 the Northern Pacific had all but dropped the fires from it's steam roster. However, the fact that I love steam engines keeps me from doing this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always liked and preferred the Transition Era.
All my layouts I've built have been based on it.
But also like to build large removable mountains used to cover up diesel servicing facility's so I can run a 100% Steam Era.

Back