Model railroading in a virtual world

It's different Louis. Sot of like the Railroad Tycoon computer game without the little hand jumping all over the place.

I liked the bit where the street car speeds up and falls off the track and the hand comes out, picks the car up and dumps it in the trash. Definitely the game for all those Gomez Addams out there. (are you watching Terry?)

Model railroading is a great hobby for so many reasons. Firstly, it can be done by people of all ages. All you need is some model rail information and then a certain desire to build track layouts and collect trains. If you have the desire and get in to the hobby then you will likely stay involved for the rest of your life.These days you can find people interested in the hobby from all age groups. There are some very small children that enjoy the hobby. There are also people well into their eighties. This shows the range and the interest in model trains.Anyone can buy a small track and one locomotive and get started in an afternoon. When you buy a pre-built layout you have everything you need. Generally this will be an oval shape, which is very easy to construct and build. From here, many people expand upon the oval and create fantastic railroad tracks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've played a lot of video games in my time; especially when I was single, but I never had any desire to simulate trains in video games. I'd rather do any other kind of video gaming than trains, which I'd save for good old fashion model railroading. Yes, I have been tempted with some of the latest simulators that actually simulate the real D&RGW standard gauge route between Grand Junction CO to Salt Lake City - I've washed a few Youtube's of it. It's cool, but somehow I can't bring myself to actually go buy the software and route packs; I go back to playing with my real model trains instead.

Back