Model Railroad questions

mcleodjames1986

To all in the forum,

I'm currently looking to get back into the hobby, and it has been about 25 years since I started. What I am looking to do is rather ambitious. I am Looking to build a scale model of the Unites States and China. In part because this is going to be for a part of a tabletop role playing game. Part of the game takes place on the American railroads going from Boston to New Orleans. The from NO to Cheyenne, Promontory Point and then to Los Angeles. I am not looking to build every railroad that existed, but it will have a great deal of detail and multiple locomotives.

Last train set I had was when I was about 13 or 14. It had two locomotives and an analog throttle and track switches that allowed movement throughout 4 different sets of track. If I could get some information and a little advice on how to proceed, that would be amazing. I know that what I am proposing to do is a massive undertaking. I need to be able to take down and store the pieces of railroad, it needs to be able to disassemble and store. Granted the ease of storage may not be the easiest thing...but I hope I can design something that can work out well.

Hopefully I won't get trolled for this...but it is to be expected when online.

James

I'm currently translating thought to physical form, but more than likely it will be in my garage. About a 20' X 20' space. Hoping to use HO gauge, might have to go with N, but my player pieces are in 1:87 to 1:72 size. I'm hoping to at least get some of the track line in. But I have a space that will allow for a large size spot. In the end it will likely not be capable of being the United States Proper lol

Welcome James, glad to have you with us!

I wouldn't worry about trolls on this forum. There is an excellent group of people here and talented too! If somebody does say something you don't like, ignore them!

I'm of no help with your project, sorry. I'll bet somebody on this forum can help you.

I wish you luck!

Imagining a U shaped along the wall benchwork of about 12” deep. Right U end is Boston. Corner is New Orleans. Center of the U is Cheyenne. Left corner is Promitory Point and left end is Los Angeles. Would need to be creative with scene blocks to create illusion of distance. Deciding on an era would help us with ideas for locomotives and rolling stock.

I am Looking to build a scale model of the Unites States and China. In part because this is going to be for a part of a tabletop role playing game. Part of the game takes place on the American railroads going from Boston to New Orleans. The from NO to Cheyenne, Promontory Point and then to Los Angeles. I am not looking to build every railroad that existed, but it will have a great deal of detail and multiple locomotives.
What game is this. Does it use specific railroads in the game? Are there other cities specifically mentioned. Cheyenne is rather out of the way going from New Orleans to Los Angeles.

I ask because making it useful for the game seems like it will be much more important than doing a scale model of the US.

If I could get some information and a little advice on how to proceed, that would be amazing. I know that what I am proposing to do is a massive undertaking. I need to be able to take down and store the pieces of railroad, it needs to be able to disassemble and store. Granted the ease of storage may not be the easiest thing...but I hope I can design something that can work out well.
If you are looking for only a flat top "map" of the locations it will be much easier than if you are planning on adding scenery. Flat tables with track store and set up much easier than things with mountains and rivers on them.

Left corner is Promitory Point and left end is Los Angeles.
Close. The major issue is that the line that goes through Promontory Point doesn't go to Los Angeles, it goes to San Francisco. Promontory Point is on the SP Lucin cut off, not part of the original transcontinental route, the original line went through Promontory Summit, 25-30 miles away from the point. The line to Los Angeles cuts off at Ogden and heads south through Salt Lake City to Los Angeles.

Close. The major issue is that the line that goes through Promontory Point doesn't go to Los Angeles, it goes to San Francisco. Promontory Point is on the SP Lucin cut off, not part of the original transcontinental route, the original line went through Promontory Summit, 25-30 miles away from the point. The line to Los Angeles cuts off at Ogden and heads south through Salt Lake City to Los Angeles.
My point was to make the track plan simple enough for gameplay. I realize that it may or may not match to the current or past trackage used by a railroad. Hopefully the OP can weigh in on thoughts and ideas.

Back