Model Railroad Hobbyist Issue #2 is out

JeffShultz

Stay off the tracks!
The second issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist is now available for download at http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com

We believe we've successfully corrected the problems that were experienced with Issue 1 early on -
- a high-bandwidth server to prevent a large number of downloads from crashing it,
- a "LITE" (16MB) version that is tested to run under MACs (even using Preview), PCs and Linux with the same content as the PREMIUM version - and downloads a lot faster
- more compatible video formats for non-PC readers.

The PREMIUM (99MB) version includes all the rich media content embedded so that after you download it, you don't need an internet connection to view everything in the magazine. It also features higher-resolution photos, allowing you to zoom in on the photos up to 200% with little or no pixelation.

Topics in this issue include:

• Superdetailing a Conrail Resin Caboose Kit
  • Getting started in DCC
  • Panel Side Hopper History
  • Building your own Manual Turnout Throws (for about $1 apiece)
  • Part 2 of the continuing tutorial on 3rd PlanIt
  • Best of the West - a layout designed by Byron Henderson to contain Tehachapi Pass, Cajon Pass, Route 66, and the Canadian Pacific - in one room.
And of course ongoing columns on Narrow Gage and Industrial Railroading, N Scale, Handlaying Track, "New Media", and Charlie Comstock's BC&SJ RR.

I downloaded it yesterday, im on a Mac and downloaded the premium edition, it took me forever, a little over an hour i think lol. I just let it download while i worked on my FORD Auto module lol. It was worth it tho, it was a great issue, spent a few hours looking through it :D

The first issue downloaded really fast for me, under 5mins and it was the Premium edition as well, dont know why this one took so much longer, if i member correctly, the 1st one was almost as large of a file as this one, so i dont know why it took so long this time around.... lol On the download page it says its not recommended for MAC's, but it works fine for me.... this time it just took a little longer lol

Don't know why it would have downloaded any slower - perhaps more congestion between you and our servers. One hour is really excessive though - it didn't take me anywhere near that long.

Glad to hear you've got the PREMIUM version running on a Mac - we've been told it runs properly under Adobe Reader 9.1 but after the problems we had between Macs and Issue 1, we were a little gun shy about announcing that. It really surprised us how many Mac users simply use Preview instead of the actual Adobe Reader/Acrobat program.

just looked at it and it looks great. I do wonder how this will hurt Model Railroad mag? They better wake up to the internet if they havent already? I still like to pick up a copy now and then but the online does seam so easy for the new genaration.

We've got a long ways to go before we're any sort of threat to Model Railroader - and they've definitely got a good idea how this internet thing works - ever been over to the Trains.com website and forums?

Competition is good - and we're happy to be positively compared with MR.

Don't know why it would have downloaded any slower - perhaps more congestion between you and our servers. One hour is really excessive though - it didn't take me anywhere near that long.

Glad to hear you've got the PREMIUM version running on a Mac - we've been told it runs properly under Adobe Reader 9.1 but after the problems we had between Macs and Issue 1, we were a little gun shy about announcing that. It really surprised us how many Mac users simply use Preview instead of the actual Adobe Reader/Acrobat program.

I was surprised at how long it took too, especially since the first premium edition downloaded so fast, and i got that one a few days after it came out. i think your right about the congestion tho, im sure lots of others were downloading at the same time as i was, it was mid afternoon yesterday when i downloaded it, around 2:00PM i think.

I am running Adobe Reader, and i just updated to the latest version last time or the time before my computer made me do a sofware update (it prompts me to do install new program and computer updates once a week). I would highly recommend using Adobe Reader versus Preview for something like this, there are alot of pages and Adobe makes it all easier to view and read. That is surprising to me that alot of Mac users are just using Preview and just dont download the Adobe.... :confused: I use Adobe for alot of stuff

Well worth the download, once I got it to work.

I downloaded it the day it came out when the links were still having problems.

I read a few things, most of it was scimmed over. It has tons of good content, I just felt the content in the first one was more informative towards what I wanted.

Overall though, still a great ezine. I just wish they came out more often.

My download didn't take long at all -- didn't time it. While I appreciate the depth of some of the articles, I think it's important to keep a mix of long and short articles just to make it accessible to readers. With a quarterly, running an article in two parts, like the CAD design piece, is a little bit of a problem. At least MRH says it will keep all the issues available online indefinitely.

Additionally, if you download the Premium version, you get everything embedded, nothing more to download. I expect to see people start to make CD-ROM's of the accumulated issues for archiving.

The second issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist is now available

Topics in this issue include:

• Part 2 of the continuing tutorial on 3rd PlanIt

I downloaded the pdf file and looked at all of it. Great online mag, but I was specifically looking for the 3rd Planit Tutorial and didn't find it in there. Am I doing something wrong? Also, I am interested in getting part 1 of the Tutorial also.

Let me know how to get these 2 tutorials.

Thank you for your help,

Steven

3rd Plan-It tutorials

Part 1 - January 2009 issue, page 55 - file should be named something like MRH-2009-Q1.pdf
Part 2 - April 2009 issue, page 37 - file should be named something like MRH-2009-Q2.pdf
Part 3 - October 2009 issue, page 85 - file should be named something like MRH-2009-Q4.pdf

All of these issues can be downloaded from the MRH website at:
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/download/back_issues

I noticed a while back. A long while back actually, that the cover page for issue one isnt there anymore. So I tried to download another issue again at that time and the cover was still missing on the fresh download. Only seems to be for the very first issue though.:confused:

What are you reading MRH with?

Hopefully Adobe Reader - I'd recommend version 9. IIRC, the cover of Issue 1 pushed the limits of what Adobe was capable of - it's possible that what you are using to read it simply can't display it.
On my system it doesn't show up until I select whether or not to allow it to go full screen or not.

I skimmed through it quickly (on break at work) for the "Build you own manual turnout throws for $1" and was not able to find it. What page would I find this on? Love the magazine by the way! Excellent work!

Manual Throws

I skimmed through it quickly (on break at work) for the "Build you own manual turnout throws for $1" and was not able to find it. What page would I find this on? Love the magazine by the way! Excellent work!

That's in Issue 2 starting on page 56. You can actually click on the article title on the cover and go straight to it.

Hopefully Adobe Reader - I'd recommend version 9. IIRC, the cover of Issue 1 pushed the limits of what Adobe was capable of - it's possible that what you are using to read it simply can't display it.
On my system it doesn't show up until I select whether or not to allow it to go full screen or not.

How do I do that? I cant right click on it and I tried to find a menu that would open up allowing me to enable that. I figured I had the most updated adobe reader. At least whatever is free.

How do I do that? I cant right click on it and I tried to find a menu that would open up allowing me to enable that. I figured I had the most updated adobe reader. At least whatever is free.

Issue 1 should put it in your face on launch - which version did you download?

Thank you so much for this. Finally! A real Model Railroad magazine by real model railroaders with quality ads that count! Wahoo!

Thank you so much! Kudos to you!

Merry Christmas!

Manny

Back