Model Power metal trains

dekker

I always try to buy higher end locos and rolling stock. I try to stay away from the cheap stuff. Anyway I went to a yard sale today that had listed in it's ad that it had model train items for sale. I get there and they had some good stuff. Atlas,Walthers and so on. I made them an offer for the small lot.In that lot was a Model Power all metal train tanker, brand new still in the box. I have to say it is very nice. All metal, very good detail and rolls very,very well. I am looking to get some more of these cars. Has anyone else tried these? What do you think Thanks

Yes, indeed, the Metal line from Model Power is largely an undiscovered jewel. The cars have great detail and the trucks are top quality. The couplers are the usual Kadee knockoffs but #5's will drop right in if you want to replace them. I also have a Metal line F-7. The level of detail is about equal to a BB Athearn F-7 although the Farr Air grills look much better. It weighs about two pounds and will pull every car on the layout. Converting it to DCC was actually easier than an Athearn BB. The only downside is that it would be tough to add extra details or kitbash because the metal shell is really thick metal. All in all, I think they are great deal so don't let the Model Power name disuade you into thinking they are junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple of them and they are definitely heavy and excellent quality. Enough weight though that with too many of them you'll shorten the possible length of your trains.

I have a couple of them and they are definitely heavy and excellent quality. Enough weight though that with too many of them you'll shorten the possible length of your trains.

Nah, you just use a helper or two. :) The trucks are so free rolling that overcoming inertia is the main problem. Once they're in motion, I couldn't tell that the train had the extra weight when I had five or six of the metal cars in the manifest.

Back