Model Builder Software....

That looks very interesting. I would be curious to know how good it is as well. I am a graphic designer and have been modifying printed paper structures I got from Clever Models. This would be nice because you can create your own. Will be watching your thread Tony.

While I haven't used this software, I do have 2 programs that I have found useful in the past, and will probably find useful as I get, eventually, to the scenery part of the layout. They are both from Evans Designs. One is called Trans Station. The program lets you do 3 things. Road signs: There are a LOT of signs here you can just print out, but there also is a sign designer, so you can design your own road signs, plus you can even import a graphic to use. Second is Billboard advertizements: Here you have maybe 20 total designs, but as before, you can also import a graphic, like the ones over on trainboard.com. They are located in the "Inspection Pit" section of there. Tomkat, the OP, has added many hundred more since the last time I was on there. He does have some on here. The Third section deals with Brick/Stone "backgrounds", and the placement of window frames in them.

The second program is called the "Modelers' Toolkit". Here There are 4 sections. One is a section for "dressing" windows with things like curtains, shades blinds, and silhouettes of people, lamps, pets, and other graphics. Again you can import a graphic to "go" behind the shades, etc. They also have templates for companies like Life-like, Walthers, City Classics, DPM, and several others. You can even design your own. The second section, is another sign creator like the one in Trans Station, but is more robust. The design your own section is more robust. Again, you can also import different graphics as well. The third section is American Advertising. This is another Billboard section, or design your own. This also has a graphic import function so any signs saved on your computer, like from the aforementioned "signs for your layout" courtesy of Tomkat again, can be used, and you can make them any size needed, change colors, etc. There is also a Burma Shave sign section. The last section is stained glass. There are some designs already drawn out that you can use, as well as a designer section, to do your own.

These two programs have allowed me to add these things to just about any structure I want to add this kind of detail to, or using the brick/stone window frame, you can design your own structure with it, and print it out using cardstock, or even thin styrene. Then you cut out the building and assemble it. The only thing I don't like about either of these programs, is no roofs are in them.

Model Builder has a free building that you can download as a PDF and then build. That might give you an idea about what their program can do.

- Jeff

Thanks guys.

Carey, I noticed that Evan Designs does seem to have a lot of "add-on" stuff and will take a look at the ones that you have suggested, especial the road signs, but will also have a look at the Modelers Tool Kit. My main reason for use is to design my own buildings, or at least, replicate some real buildings from my area so I can build them in wood.

Jeff, I did see that and did download it, thanks.

I am not sure if I am misreading something, but it seems as though a lot of the Evans Design plans are designed for paper buildings. I was hoping that it would allow me to design a structure with measurements accurate for HO Scale in plan form, such as a blue print, to be used to build the structure from wood.

Hi Tony -

No, you are not misreading. The Model Builder software is intended for creating paper and cardstock buildings. There is nothing to stop you from printing a Model Builder building then taking measurements from the printout. But it's not intended to be a "blueprint" program. That's what CAD programs are for (or perhaps SketchUp).

- Jeff

No, Evans designs are designed to fit things like DPM, Walthers, Life-like, and others, windows. Sort of an interior without an interior. Their stone and brick designs are for different sidings and such, that can go on either paper, wood or plastic structures. Their ad designs can go on billboards both scratched and kit builts, serve as posters and signs for buildings/businesses. The road signs are self explanatory. But I don't think they, the Evans Designs programs, were developed for designing and building full structures with. They do lack a roof "graphic" and that is one thing they don't have. But with them having the ability to import graphics, someone who good with the software may be able to import that and design a roof for a brick or stone building.

If you want to make a model of a specific building, Sketchup has Photomatch which allows you to make a 3D model from a photo(s) of a building. You can apply the photos as a texture to the model. There's also a plugin called Flattery that allows you to unfold the 3D model so you can print it out.

Photomatch tutorial....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnSVWHQX7eM
Note that one side of the building is in bright sunlight while the other is in shadow. You would probably want to shoot on an overcast day where the lighting is more even.

Flattery download...
http://www.pumpkinpirate.info/flattery/

Steve S

I originally bought the Evans software to mockup buildings for my old On30 layout.

Then went on to virtual railroading and "built" their sample building in 3D:

bomze_shadows.jpg

Buildings can be designed with the software.

The textures are really great and the software is worth it to make building sheets.

Here are their shingles "temporarily" on an HO building:

shingles.JPG

The textures scale so they can be made to cover a wide area:

stretched%20shingles.jpg

Harold

Back