Mobile and Lightweight Layout

elsner203

I'm trying to build my layout in our extra bedroom. The room is only 9'6" x 9'6" so there is plenty of space for my 48" x 70" layout. The problem is, that doesn't leave much room for anything else, like my in-laws for example. We'd like to have that space as a guest room, but that leaves no room for my layout.

So, in trying to keep it lightweight and not a killer to move 1-2 times a year, my "benchwork" will be a 6' folding table. Anybody have suggestions for keeping the rest of it lightweight? Seems like there should be something better than ply wood and 2x4s.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Is this N scale or HO?

Last week someone posted an awesome N scale that he made into a coffee table by adding 1 x 12" boards all around and glass cover.

Something you could slide under the bed maybe another possible. Or, you can pully it down from the ceiling.

Have Fun!!!!!! lasm

Any reason nit can't be an around the walls layout? That way the center of the room would be clear for a bed.

lasm, that's a good idea. I thought about a ceiling pulley system, but not about fitting it under the bed. Might need to raise the bed a little, but that's easy! (might need to actually get a bed first, too)
Also, it's an N scale layout. I saw someone post on here recently about how they use peg board instead of plywood, but I wasn't sure of their results. Seems like it would need more bracing to avoid bowing in the middle. More bracing, more weight.

Cajon, this is just my first layout, so I'm starting off small. After I prove to my wife that I can start something and stick with it, I'll consider the "around the walls" layout. I have the perfect space for it, but I need to keep the wife happy till she's fully on board.

elsner203
If you build the around the wall modular, you build to start a 2' x 4'. That way you'll be able to show the better half that you can do it & get something "finished". Then build another one working your way "around the room. Look on this & other forums for both around the wall layouts & modular layouts. You can also search thru Google &/or your browser. Don't feel like this is some kind of overwhelming task. Many more people before you have done it & succeeded.

I think this is a really cool idea that may fit into your plans.

You can check out the thread on this forum if interested:
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...Coffee-Table-Design-Help!&p=328576#post328576

Nscale.JPG

I would paint the walls scenery, others suggested mirrors. This is very feasible, and you can use the table in the room while you get your bed and other furniture.

Have Fun !!!!!!! lasm

lasm, I think you're onto something there. I can't raise the bed at all, due to difficulties with my in-laws, this gives me a few ideas.

Back