Minimum Radius for 5 Unit spine cars?

nwdrummer379

Class of '11
This may be a dumb question but.. what's a good minimum radius for HO 5 unit spine cars? I want an intermodal facility on my future layout and if I have limited space, I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of 89' twin 45's that can't handle 22" curves comfortably.

-Jeff

If you're going with Athearn Impack cars, you should be able to get them around a 22" radius curve. Anything longer might be a problem.

Timothy Dineen

I have a set of the Walthers 5 unit well cars, and they can go around about a 24" curve. I haven't tried it on anything smaller (no layout at this time), but maybe someone else can chime in and give you a better answer.

Timothy Dineen

Your in the same spot I am, no layout to test things out. I have to wait to go down to my buddy's to run anything! I appreciate your response sir,

-Jeff

I hope I have a decent amount of space so I don't have to use 18" curves then :eek: This is the problem with building a fleet before I have a layout..:rolleyes:

Ive owned 3 sets of the Walthers 5 unit well cars, none went through 18in radius. I actually wound up leaving the 3 middle wells out and running an arcticulated double well car :p

You asked about spine cars though. Because the ends are much narrower, they could take tighter curves. I believe ive seen the Athearn BB 5 units spine cars run through 14in curves :eek:

Dont quote me on that though, i know ive seen them in less than 18 though :D

I know they aren't spine cars, What was getting at was I have a fleet of 89' TOFC's right now and might switch to spine cars for my intermodal fleet if they can handle tighter curves better.

Back