Miniature Wonderland MRR and Model Airport

Steve B

Firefighter
This wonderful model railroad was featured on SAT1 TV recently, you have to see this video to appreciate how BIG this place is, even the mountains tower two floors high inside the building. They even have a 1/87 scale airport with planes that take off, land and taxi, with true to scale everything inc runways, taxiways, terminal buildings and so on, it's just huge. LOL it's on my wish list of places to visit big time.

[YOUTUBE]PN_oDdGmKyA[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
In Englisch bitte! ;) :D

I've been to Bremen, Germany, but it was a business trip so I didn't have time to make a trip to the Miniature Wonderland in Hamburg. Hopefully I'll get to go to Hamburg on a trip this year and can take a day to explore and see this spectacular layout.
________
Class Action Settlement

Here's the link to this astonishing creation by two brothers with a complete crew of workman.

The train layout uses 13 miles [real miles] of track and if I remember correctly there are over 100,000 minature lights used, or something like that and a tremendous # of minature people. It's just humungous in size and scope!!

*Astonishing video: Most gigantic model railroad in the world | DVICE
Mar 23, 2009 ... The Miniatur Wunderland model railroad in Hamburg, Germany is the largest in the world, covering 16,146 square feet of space with more than ...*

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/03/astonishing_mos.php

airslide The guy in the river ,,, and only a few feet away a couple are gettin jiggy jiggy in the sunflower field, love it :)

That's awesome. Great, now I have to plan a trip out there.

MyReadingSig.png

There are some great modeling done there and at a grand size. I've never seen anything like that done in America before but would love too. I would really be happy if it was done in my town. :)

Dave

I wondered how they'd get the planes to leave the ground. It's done with rods traveling along a slot--rather low tech.

I wondered how they'd get the planes to leave the ground. It's done with rods traveling along a slot--rather low tech.

Seeing that the planes are completely autonomous and filled with electronics and batteries (they say the weight of the planes is between 600 to 2000 grams) , I can't think of a better method to launch the planes.

But if you watch this video of the airport at night, it is truly amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=-kkhhlezdSU

This sure looks like a fun place to work, but according to the information on their website, the approximate construction cost was 10 million euros with 500,000 man hours of work.

Subtracting the capital expenditures, it seems that they probably don't pay too well, or maybe many of the man hours were done for free.

You always hear that pay isn't everything and job happiness is more important, so I'm curious if there are others here that would take a job like this for maybe $10.00 to $15.00 an hour?

If you would, what would be your favorite job position?

I have an embedded control background, so I think writing firmware for planes, vehicles, etc. would be the most fun for me.

The plane launching system is built from alloy and uses robotics for precision operation. The take off sound follows the planes down the runway through a whole load of bass speakers all down the runway but when they are taxing they have on board sound, amazing.
It's on my must visit list for sure.

No chit chat in German just pure planes, some good camera angles in this video to :)

[YOUTUBE]4_06qrFnvnw&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Latest video showing how to program a new plane landing and take off characteristics, it's a bit like programing a DCC decoders CV values

[YOUTUBE]dM7oXKmYiGU[/YOUTUBE]

Well, that was fascinating, even in German. Can't someone do a dubbed version, or make up subtitles?

What I didn't see explained was what happens when a plane passes through the curtain and disappears. How do they bring them back to the ground? Maybe there's some kind of track that carries them back to the far end, or perhaps they simply turn them around and land by reversing the takeoff process. I'm sure the problem has been solved one way or another--it would be embarrassing if it hadn't.

That guy really loves his models!

The planes get lowered to a lower level, they then drive themselves to the start and a platform then lifts them back to airport level where the landing / take off prongs re locate in the plane fuselage.

Well, that was fascinating, even in German. Can't someone do a dubbed version, or make up subtitles?

What I didn't see explained was what happens when a plane passes through the curtain and disappears. How do they bring them back to the ground? Maybe there's some kind of track that carries them back to the far end, or perhaps they simply turn them around and land by reversing the takeoff process. I'm sure the problem has been solved one way or another--it would be embarrassing if it hadn't.

That guy really loves his models!

Click on the arrow at the bottom right of the Video window, then select 'CC'

Back