Milwaukee Road SD10 build

Excellent work. I'd personally just leave the firecraker antenna on as I'm sure a few got changed out over the years. The trouble with the whip antenna is you go through all the work to install it and then it's almost invisible.

My limited understanding of the Horst system was that it was a combination of air feed system and filters. It was used by the IC and MILW on rebuilds as a way to force more air into the engine in place of a turbo, which supposedly developed about 100 more horsepower than an inertial air intake/filter. It was developed in Germany and used there for a number of years. The ox-yoke shape was to prevent snow and dust from being forced into the engine compartment along with the air. This required a fairly complicated filter and baffle arrangement. They became a maintenance nightmare for both the IC and MILW and all were eventually converted to just an odd looking intertial filter system.

Patty had class tonight so I got some good modeling time in! (she's working on her masters degree)

Tonight was all about paint. So, here is my painting for this evening.

Then nice thing about painting your own models, is you can paint it according to the final vision of how the unit will look. In the case of this SD10, it will be very faded. The Milwaukee orange faded in many different ways and patterns. In my area of interst, the harsh Montana elements took a heavy toll and that is why my models are weathered as they are. Faded, dusty, and ill maintained.

I hope you enjoy this little progress report
129-1.jpg

SD10BUILD001-2.jpg

SD10BUILD002-1.jpg

SD10BUILD006-1.jpg

SD10BUILD007.jpg

SD10BUILD009.jpg

SD10BUILD013-1.jpg

SD10BUILD017-2.jpg

Thanks for looking.

-Bob

Here's a sneak peak at, "The Tens." I changed the number of the 550 to the 545 after receiving information that the 545 was assigned to Harlowton, Montana in 1977 and served on the Northern Montana Line. I have photos of the 553 serving on the NML in the late 1970s as well in an issue of TMR. :)

012-3.jpg

009-3.jpg

021-1.jpg

Of course, they are still "in process" so don't tear me up to badly here. I would like to hear thoughts and and opinions.
I have NOT started weathering the frames and trucks yet.

Thanks for looking,

-Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Back