Milwaukee Road SD10 build

Excellent work so far. You've picked a tough prototype to model. I'm sure we'll all like to see the highlights of the build here.

That is looking great!!! Nice work following the build too, always great to see how everything is actually done.

Hey thanks for the kind words, guys. I am enjoying these builds. I have two of them in progress. Not much time to work on them so far this week. I did manage to cut the original exhaust stacks off and am in the process of sanding the roof smooth prior to putting on the new DA stacks.

Alco: Yep. The Milwaukee has some interesting power. Heck, even their GP38-2 and GP30s were ordered different than stock. Then, their other large rebuild program of the GP20s.
1139-11%20MILW%20990.JPG

MILW%20953-948%20SHACKOPEE%20MN%202-82.jpg

I'll be doing 4 or 5 of those one day. But that is a topic for another thread. :)

what company are those air hoses? the plastic ones? I have used 1 pair on a tunnel motor and actually like then better then the Details West ones since they wont break as easy.

I often wondered why the MILW went to all the trouble obtaining GP-20 labels for these rebuilds when they had nothing to do with a GP-20 except for the horsepower?

Great series of pictures, Bob. Those old ox yoke filters looked like a real ball to get looking good. They came out fine after the second fill and sand job. I knew that the MILW got the SD10 stickers and I think they did the same with a couple of other rebuilds. I guess I still don't understand why a company with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel spent money on needless dodads like that. :confused:

Well, if the Milwaukee was well managed, they would still be here today. :)

Managed to get some good progress accomplished this evening.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

011-2.jpg

018-1.jpg

015.jpg

025.jpg

That's the work for the shell and cab until finish painting is complete. Next we'll move on to the pilots.

LOL, Bob, I guess you have a point about the managment failures of the old MILW. Looks really good now that you've got it in primer. One question about the antenna. All the pictures I've seen of SD-10's show a whip antenna. Did some have them replaced with the firecracker variety?

Good eye, Jim! You are correct! I'll have swap that out! I'll have to take a closer look at the placement as well. Looking at this example, it was more to the front of the cab roof as well.
1022-18.JPG

whats the difference between the regular filters you see on regular gp's and sd's from that era to this filter?

Hey there Trey. I'm not sure how many roads made use of the HORST air filters. But the only two I do know of were the IC & the Milwaukee. A very cool thing for us modelers! :)

Steve, I'm not entirely sure of the difference, other than the external housing and duct work. On these rebuilds, I assume they allowed the prime mover to breath more freely which was an aid in increasing the horse power rating.

Got a bit more done. Getting close... :)

Working on the frame detials...
059.jpg

080.jpg

096.jpg

and some work on the pilots...
120.jpg

075.jpg

103.jpg

On to some misc. things...
118.jpg

Next I'll begin the painting process... Thanks for reading...

Back