Milwaukee Road RS1 photo?

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
I just purchased an undecorated atlas RS1 and was hoping to paint it all black and decal it up in the milw road scheme of the time. Anyone have any photos of this rare beast? I've noticed in the past ebay has the all black RS1 up for auction, but I never saved a photo of it.
Thanks for any help!

When did the MILW have this all black scheme? I've just gone through about 100 locomotive pictures going all the way back to 1949 and there were no all black locos.

When did the MILW have this all black scheme? I've just gone through about 100 locomotive pictures going all the way back to 1949 and there were no all black locos.

I have never seen a photo of this loco. Maybe atlas offered one in a non prototypical color scheme. But, it is similar to this soo line RS1, only without the tigerstriped ends.
Anyone ever seen a photo of the HH660 prototype, similar to what atlas sells?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the all black is a fantasy scheme. I can't find a picture of the 1602 before it was renumbered to 982 but here's a pictue of a contemporaneous unit, an H12-44, taken in 1952. This was shortly after it was built and acquired by the Milwaukee Road. It seems that orange and black was the standard even back then. I suppose it's possible that there were some very early switchers painted in an all black scheme but I'd have to see a picture before I believed it.

milw2301.jpg

I think that the all black is a fantasy scheme. I can't find a picture of the 1602 before it was renumbered to 982 but here's a pictue of a contemporaneous unit, an H12-44, taken in 1952. This was shortly after it was built and acquired by the Milwaukee Road. It seems that orange and black was the standard even back then. I suppose it's possible that there were some very early switchers painted in an all black scheme but I'd have to see a picture before I believed it.

[/IMG]

A fantasy scheme, LOL!!
Ya, I have never found an actual photo of one of these. I was maybe just going by the assumtion that anything put out by atlas recently is based upon a prototype! Oh well, I'm still going to (try) paint it black, I'll likely have to have some custom decals made up in white instead of the typical MR black.

Back