MILW caboose stenciling question

NateJ

Redneck railfan
I've been seeing a few pics of Milwaukee Road bay window cabooses with either the letters "WAM" or "WASH ST" stenciled below the bay windows, and I'm curious as to what they mean. Any thoughts?

The only thing that comes to mind is probably location of caboose assignment. WASH ST sounds like Washington state. Back in the day each caboose was assigned to specific crew, depending on railroad. Later for example on Pennsylvania Railroad cabooses were in pool service, meaning it could be assigned to any train available. This Milwaukee caboose is in Cle Elum in Washington, not much markings do probably to lack of knowledge by last repainting crew:
20230804_124322.jpg

You can see what a poor job was done on it, they didn't even bother recreating black builders board on the right side. Next one is in Saint Marries, Idaho, obviously former Milwaukee:
20230805_153910.jpg

Building info was definitely present as this caboose was used recently;
20230805_154829.jpg

One good source to start with are Morning Sun books. They may have a book dedicated to Milwaukee Road freight equipment.

That's not "builders" info, it's inspection and lubrication data.
Technically you're right, but builders and rebuilding dates both appear on this. I was just referring to markings available that are easy to spot, since the question refered to those easily visible on pictures.

Back