Middlesex Manufacturing

Bread&steel

There's this space on my layout that has become a vacant lot.:eek: I didn't like what was there before and I lived with it for a long time, but recently I have decided that I was in denial. I just didn't like what I had done and out it came. After clearing away the structures etc I had a vacant lot that was crying out for an old mill building. I had 16 inches by 7 inches for the building and, HEY ! what do you know ! Atlas came out with this thing! They call it, Middlesex Manufacturing. I didn't know what to make of that big red thing. Bad picture, I thought. Then after a little research I found the real Middlesex Manufacturing and WOW, it's just what I was looking for ! It had potental. I was reluctant to order it because it looked like it had molded in windows. Being quite indolent, I didn't fancy masking all those windows! But I was wrong. Windows are separate ! So I've just received it and if you would like to see if I can make something out of that big plastic Atlas red box, then stick around while I go at it.

Larry

If I'm not mistaken, that building is actually manufactured for Atlas by Heljan although I think Heljan now has Chinese production facilities. Heljan generally makes really nice brick buildings. I saw that in the Atlas catalog and have been lusting after it but I don't have any vacant space, darn it. I'll be interested to hear how easy (or difficult) it is to put together. Are you going to try the building crossover bridge too? I always thought one of those would look cool in an industrial district.

Well I've been having trouble with Comcast...my internet connection. I think everything's okay now.

The building comes in a shade of red that's not all that bad, but I lightly oversprayed it with my favouite oxide red color so I would have two close shades of red brick. The windows are a bright red :eek: so I sprayed them a dark brown. I've done my mortar lines and light overspray of dullcote. Let me see if I can attach some pictures.

As to that bridge...I'm thinking about it.

Well just one close up picture for now. My wife is calling me :D

If I'm not mistaken, that building is actually manufactured for Atlas by Heljan although I think Heljan now has Chinese production facilities. Heljan generally makes really nice brick buildings. I saw that in the Atlas catalog and have been lusting after it but I don't have any vacant space, darn it. I'll be interested to hear how easy (or difficult) it is to put together. Are you going to try the building crossover bridge too? I always thought one of those would look cool in an industrial district.

I believe you're right.....nice brick detail.....Heljan for sure.
I've got some more pictures to size. I'll post them soon.

progress

This is a very easy kit to build. Very straight forward. The base is small but adequate and it uses a unique locking pin idea to hold it in alignment. There are a variety of windows. 6 over 6,... 8 over 8,... 2 over 2 and some with vent holes in steel plates. There are also bricked up windows if you wish to use them otherwise there are enough 6 over 6 windows to fill the spaces. You can follow the instructions on the placement of these things or make up your own pattern. The doors are good looking steel doors and they are crying out for a bit of rust. I'm really liking this kit.

Larry

Nice job. Did you happen to use a black along the edge of the roof to give it the dirty appearance? It looks like it would be fairly easy to kitbash and knock off a couple of floors if you wanted to reduce the height or add additional kits to increase the length of the building. Please supply additional photos as you progress on the build.

Larry

Nice job. Did you happen to use a black along the edge of the roof to give it the dirty appearance? It looks like it would be fairly easy to kitbash and knock off a couple of floors if you wanted to reduce the height or add additional kits to increase the length of the building. Please supply additional photos as you progress on the build.

Yes I certainly will. More pictures to come.
Weathering etc. Well I started out by overspaying the building with oxide red but just enough to let some of the original color through. I let it cure for 3 days. Then I brushed in, Woodland scenics, slate gray to fill in all of the mortar lines. I use a damp brush and cover the entire building then I let it dry for an hour or so. When it seems dry I use a drywall sanding block to remove most of it from the brick surface. I then gently touch it up with some fine sandpaper. To get rid of any burnishing marks and to make it look better, I spay it with dullcote. The dirt along the edges are slate gray that I left alone.
I love this building so much that I wish I had two more to kitbash into one VERY large building. But I just don't have the room for it.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry, those Heljan brick pattern walls are about the best in the hobby. Looks like the switch to China hasn't hurt that. I still think the Weekly Herald/Superior Bakery kits that were originally sold by Revell but made by Heljan have some of the nicest brick molded walls ever made.

Larry, those Heljan brick pattern walls are about the best in the hobby. Looks like the switch to China hasn't hurt that. I still think the Weekly Herald/Superior Bakery kits that were originally sold by Revell but made by Heljan have some of the nicest brick molded walls ever made.

Since they've gone Chinese, I wonder if they'll start selling this stuff in
Wal-mart ? :D

Don't we wish. :) Given Walmarts average markup, it would sure be nice to see them selling some train stuff. Unfortunatley, it looks like Walmart is getting out of the hobby business altogether if the two stores near me are any indication. One is new andone was remodeled after our tornado. Both have completely eliminated the plastic model kits, Testors paint, and even glue. Since we have no hobby shops here, it was at least a place that I could get some paint or glue when I needed it. Michaels is the only place left that still has plastic kits and paints.

Michaels is the only place left that still has plastic kits and paints.[/QUOTE]

I used to live near to a GREAT hobby shop. He did everything, but his RR stuff was fabulous and discounted ! Now I live 45 miles away and with the price of gas...well it looks like I won't be going back again. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
progress

Well the walls are together. Take care to see how the walls fit together before you use any glue. A little care at this stage will pay off with a great looking building. The drain pipes are in place. I painted them grimy black. Notice the elevator on the side of this structure and the slopping roof line. The builders of the real building sure solved the flat roof water problem. It makes this building even more interesting to look at.

BTW the instruction manual is outstanding !

Now to install the roof.....More pictures to come

Done

Well this kit was fun to build.:D The roof was a bit cantankerous, but after sitting down and taking a deep breath, I was able to fit in okay. This was built straight out of the box. The only thing different from the picture on the box was some paint and weathering. There is a concrete loading dock and a wanky staircase that I'm not showing in these pictures. But there's nothing special about them anyway. I hope this thread might be helpful in seeing what can be done with a VERY good example of a northeast style mill building. Now to add some details and place it on the layout.

Larry

Nice work Larry, the building looks to be coming along nicely. The added touch of the bricked up windows really makes it pretty realistic. Can't wait to see pictures of it put in place.

on the layout

Just thought you would like to see this building on my layout. I still have signs to make and more details.

Larry

Back