Micro-Engineering's Yard Ladder Turnouts

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Has anyone used or installed the relatively new yard ladder turnouts from Micro-Engineering. Do they really conserve that much yard space?

Your opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Greg

While I haven't used the new ME switches, I'm really pleased with their products. I use Fast Tracks jigs and ME rail for building turnouts. That said, Yes they do and No they don't, save yard space. Yard space is determined SOLELY by frog number and C-C spacing. What the ME turnouts do is make it easier to build a more compact ladder. You could do exactly the same with an RTR switch, say an Atlas 562, by cutting back the ends and diverging route, fixing the ties, etc. ME has just done that work for you.

I just went onto the M.E. website PDF's, which is supposedly where you can find these turnouts, found illustrations for one, but nothing else.

I pretty much use the ME Code 70 #6 frog switch exclusively on my layout. As Kevin previously mentioned, I cut them to get the track centers I want. I recently purchased two of the new #5 switches, in code 83, but not any of the specific yard ladder switches, as I'm not really sure what I might need yet. I do have a bit of a problem comprehending how their system works, as Toot pointed out, information is sort of scarce.

Guess there is one way to find out, and that's to try them.

I'm glad it's not just me, nothing like having a confusing website to make you doubt your navigating abilities. A general overview of the whole system would be nice. Anyone got a link to one? Could be on youtube maybe?

I recommend ME's ladder system

I just finished installing ME's ladder system with 1C, 4D's, and 1E to finish it off. I like the system very much because you don't have to add extra track in between turnouts, and the switches are on the opposite side of the diverging track. I do not like the glue on headblock ties where the switch sits, very flimsy. I left them off and made wooden blocks glued to the sub-roadbed and mounted Caboose switches on them, very strong (covered with ballast to hide them). I recommend using the ME ladder system for the sheer ease of installation and of course it does give you 30% more track.

ME ladder system.jpgME ladder system d.jpgME ladder system c.jpgME ladder system b.jpg

Hi Blueleader, welcome too, to the forums. Excellent pictures and a very worthwhile heads up about the headblock ties. Looks like the ballasting of the tricky bits is well executed and advanced. Did you give M.E. feedback on your findings?

Thanks for the kind words everybody

Thanks for the kind words everybody, good to be part of the forum. I did email ME suggesting to mold larger headblock ties on the side opposite the diverging track at least for the ladder turnouts. I plan on using ME's ladder system on the upper layer rail yard as well.

Hi Blueleader, welcome too, to the forums. Excellent pictures and a very worthwhile heads up about the headblock ties. Looks like the ballasting of the tricky bits is well executed and advanced. Did you give M.E. feedback on your findings?

Back