Michigan Central UNLIMITED

Metal wheels are the only way to go. When I started my layout over 25 years ago, Besides adding Kadee Couplers, any plastic wheels were replaced with either Kadee metal wheels or Kadee sprung trucks with metal wheels. More recently Intermountain and others are offering metal wheels. I have nothing at all with plastic wheels.

I broke down and bought 12, 33" Inter Mountains at the show for 12 bucks! NO DEALS to be had!

Figured I might as well begin my foray into 'conversion-action-mode' type activities.

Working into a frenzy so I can begin laying down the 'incline line' and REALLY get this spaghetti bowl going, it looks like that will be what my 'first' layout on here will be. Seems to be a common phase with large 'unplanned' type layouts like this, that's ok from what I've seen of their later forms!

Nice job and I have to agree with Lynn, metal wheels are much nicer, seem to roll better and stay cleaner.

I would not really consider it 'modeling' LOL! I just bent out the trucks and put new axles in em. So afraid of breaking it I could barely bring myself to use enuff pressure to do the job! I gotta learn the tolerances of some of this stuff so I'm using things I won't mind breaking if I 'fail'.

I really don't want something 'nice' to go 'PING' and sail across the room! (EEEK!)

200+ feet is good and the figure 8 made it better, now lets take it UP and add an elevated loop!
WIN_20151121_225708.JPGThe riser set I got for free was incomplete, no biggie, plenty of scrap left over from the building phase and I knew it would come in handy so NOTHING was pitched except into a 'scrap box'!

AS Advertised! A Disco ball by Thanksgiving! Mom woulda LOVED IT!
WIN_20151124_144608.JPGHave to hide the power cords somehow but it works!
WIN_20151124_144614.JPGBit by bit...LOL!

Well that sure takes modelrailroading to a whole nother level.:)

I was going to put in a water feature with real water but there are good reasons not to do that. Had to think of something a little unique!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, round 2 comin acha! Still in the 'thinking phase' of the next incarnation but this is the jist of it. Line #1 will be the 'old line' the one that was just laid in a hurry to get the road open, hilly, curvy, they did not want to move too much dirt! Line #2 will be more 'gentle' with longer grades and no turns on the grades. Those will be the long outside 'mains'. #3,4 will be 'blasted thru' any obstacles, flat and straight!! At least two industries and two passenger stations, one at each 'end' to give the layout 'purpose'. A large 'storage yard' accessible from only one end and a 'working yard' in the middle somewhere with at least one turntable. Ambitious? Yes, but this awesome space demands no less! Still a few things to 'suss out'. Photos will be forthcoming when construction begins.

Back