Metra north central. My daily commute

tankist

I do this for over 3 years now. well, unless i was late and took the neighboring Milwaukee north line on that specific day that is , lol.
the purpose of this photo session was to get some reference pictures for my self, but i think some will be interesting to see.

for now all that left from preliminary weeding are dumped here . later i will be sorting these into technical and not.

departing union station

DSC_8993-vi.jpg

Grain Elevator

DSC_9019-vi.jpg

Neighbor

DSC_9038-vi.jpg

DSC_9064-vi.jpg

misc maintenance cars

DSC_9071-vi.jpg

the city

DSC_9091-vi.jpg

GP38 CP Worker

DSC_9133-vi.jpg

"Art"

DSC_9185-vi.jpg

Railfan?

DSC_9213-vi.jpg

Compactor

DSC_9303-vi.jpg

on CN mainline

DSC_9315-vi.jpg

intermodal yard

DSC_9347-vi.jpg

natural weathering

DSC_9378-vi.jpg

two of these can regularly be spotted on the north side of the yard

DSC_9385-vi.jpg

I used to ride on that route when it was the C&NW. My dad took the commuter train everyday from Barrington to downtown for his work. It was always a treat to ride on the upper level of the commuter car. Back in the day the even had a bar car.....

they had bar car on Milwaukee north line couple years a go for sure. during summer only. not sure about last year. and north central is relatively light route with only 4 cars and lighter schedule. if i miss the 7:35 train i need to drive to the other line as the next one is not untill 9:40. nuts

Anton, I'm current sitting in a building just across the river from where your trip ends. I mirror your daily commute from the far Southwest side on the CTA Orange Line. It was built using the existing right of way of bunch of railroads.

Anton:

Thank you for posting your aptly-captioned, well-organized and nicely-taken photos. It was a pleasure going through this well-rounded, up-to-date photo essay on the Chicago "burbs."

DougC

Thanks Doug and guys :)
these pictures are mostly for me, but i'm happy if someone else had an interesting moment looking at them.

with that yesterday i was set to repeat the shoot now looking at the other side of the track, but the conductor suddenly threw a fit. per him it is apparently not allowed for passengers to stand in middle passage hall while the train moves, which is strange as i see people there all the time (and it was perfectly fine with him yesterday). he did not bother to explain what regulation he is sighting, and for that matter couldn't say anything to explain why is that "i have to be seated". i decided to not argue with him and got a seat.
i don't intend to raise a lot of fuss about the matter , but i will contact Metra public relation and ask them to clarify the rules for the riders for the next time.

what do you think on the matter?

By contrast, I was in St. Louis in October for training and took the train from the airport to downtown and returned the same way. They about flipped when they got the train receipts, as the train is too dangerous...LOL

You were one brave dude to ride Metro Link........hopefully it was during daylight hours :p

Back