metal scrapyard

unkaboose

would like to do a auto /metal scrapyard in my layout with a board fence, any ideas on how to replicate junk cars and metal?

For HO scale, pick up some cheap Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars and beat the snot out of them to scratch and chip the paint. Then soak them in salt water and let them dry where they will rust up a bit. I know they're not 1:87 scale, but they're pretty close.

You can use a car body as a pattern and cover it it a piece of heavy tin foil. Rub it down tight against the body with a tooth pick. Trim the edges and carefully peal the foil back and pull the body out. No matter how hard you try its going to look like a wrecked car. A little super glue on the inside will make it firm. Throw on some paint and you'll have a junk car almost for free.
For scrap metal you can use just about anything and little pieces from all kinds of junk.
I made a salvage yard, take a look maybe you'll get some ideas.
http://public.fotki.com/daveinthehat/davetown/davetown-salvage-company/

For HO scale, pick up some cheap Hot Wheels or Matchbox cars and beat the snot out of them to scratch and chip the paint. Then soak them in salt water and let them dry where they will rust up a bit. I know they're not 1:87 scale, but they're pretty close.
That was the first thing i though of, too!

Woodland Scenics junk cars, and either Athearn or Walthers too. There are several companies that have misc junk, tires, drums and other stuff out there. The fence is handmade and the kits have been cut and cleaned up because they had a resin base on them that I didn't want. It just didn't look right.

DSCN0145_zps06ab7a93.jpg

DSCN0144_zps33298e1b.jpg

DSCN0143_zpsb2b7473c.jpg

David

The roads are made from dry mix joint compound and Woodland Scenics road tape. I mixed in a little gray craft paint to give it some color then did the rest of the weathering with powders and the patch spots are craft paint later on. The road cracks are a super fine Sharpie.

David

I took some old red or gray shotgun shells (used) and cut the top off and then the plastic into thirds, looks like old sheet metal with some weathering. I use it for roofs and for my scrap yards, along with everything else rusty I can find

Here's a paied resin casting of junked vehiclesI found from Cooch n the lower left of the photo. I did cut it into 2 sections and will put some other junk around it to blend it in. The other castings are just for metal junk. It is still under construction. Have to pit some kind of fence around it I guess.

junk.jpg mo junk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally I was going to have a gravel pit in that location bit a scrap yard would be a bit more interesting. This picture is from a year and a half ago. All options were still open. It took a bit of looking to find the scrap pikes. Right at the bottom of the grade I will probabl put in a scale and a small shack for an office and scale house but for right now, other projects are towards the top of the list.

IMAG0325_BURST002.jpg

Back