McHenry couplers

nof

Hello!
Athearn has released some N-scale cars now equipped with McHenry couplers. Do anyone knows where to find more information about replacement couplers and trucks for locomotives and cars? I saw Leo Bicknells test of them on http://realityreduced.com and they seems to be very good. I would like to buy some of them to replace the couplers that isn't working well on some cars I have.

Athearn owns McHenry Couplers. It would appear that any N scale McHenry must have been produced just for those Athearn N scale cars since neither the McHenry or Horizon Hobbies web site show any N scale couplers available. Micro Trains makes a large assortment of N scale couplers and most modelers use them if they want knuckle type couplers. I don't know the quality of the McHenry in N scale but they have been marginal at best in HO compared to Kadee, which use the basis for the Micro Train design.

The early reports on another forum from some guys who had done some testing are good. They have to be a huge improvement of the Model Die Casting coupler that was used on the early Athearn N scale cars after they bought MDC.

I have not had a real good experience with the Accumate couplers. I hope the McHenry's are better as they as suppose to be a direct replacement in the Accumate coupler box.

The Micro Train coupler is more than a Kadee copy, it is a Kadee. Kadee went into N scale coupler and then car production many years before the two brothers split the company into kadee and Micro Trains.

I did send a question to Athearn about the couplers and I got an answer yesterday.
They wrote "Please note that we are currently planning to offer these couplers separately sometime later this year. We will make an announcement in our on-line newsletter when we are ready. ...".
I'm looking forward to learn more about it.

Back