Maumee Father & Son Project

Gino

My son has been obsessed with trains since he was knee high. At 6 years old, he received a Bachmann EZtrack kit for Christmas. That was all she wrote, he is hooked.

So every time a train is parked at the nearby yard, he insists on inspecting it, and every time it is a new one (model or flag, not number) he wants a picture. The picture is of him and his little brother.

So we started off with a 4x8. We came up with a pulley system to hike to the cieling, allowing use of the basement space for other things. This was very good except, he likes running them with his brother, needing multiple lines. So we decided 4x8 was too small. We built an 8x10 table, but since it was in a corner, you had to climb on it to recover derailments, etc. It was a disaster. So we agreed to redo it.

When I asked him how he wanted it done he specified:
1- "I need to be able to reach it everywhere (no climbing to get derailed trains)"
2- "it needs to be low enough for little kids to see, with glass so they don't accidently break it"
3- we need to be able to take it apart so if we can take it somewhere and kids can see it.
The last spec complicates things, but I admire his principles. He was frustrated that I needed to pick him up for him to see the layouts at the shows. I don't know if we'll take it anywhere, but it is probably not a bad idea to be able to move it in case I move for work.

So I have an idea for a basic round and around. It fits in an 8x10 space at room corner, and he should only need to reach a little over 2' at any point on the table. The layout attached is not closed together yet, but you get the idea. The table is two 4x4 sections and two 4x2 sections. I have a bolting pattern and hardware that should get them to line up very close and consistent.

I guess we'll see how it goes. I am not sure about laying track over table joints, any guidance?

2 observations off the top of my head:

Not sure about the how the mainlines cross over each other twice at two locations. While this may add some "action" to operations, it will also prohibit two trains from simultaneously running freely along each mainline.

There doesn't seem to be any industry. OK, I know the layout is for a 6 year old, but maybe introducing an industry somewhere will show him that railroads exist to serve customers? At the very least, a team track could be served by all possible types of rolling stock.

Good plan overall, keep us updated...

The crossover is actually a bridge. I did not put the elevations on the layout. I would not trust the boys to run them with a crossover.

They have some train station kits they are working on for passenger type operation. It has been a little challenging for them but they are sticking with it.

Given your needs, I'd say it's a pretty good layout. The tracks are awfully close to the edges so you do need some kind of barrier to keep them from hitting the floor. You can get a lot more space in the yard using a complex ladder rather than the straight ladder shown. Do a search here on complex ladder and you'll you find a good thread about how it maximize your yard using less space.

I do think at least one spur serving an industry would make it more interesting for the boys since they'll have the chance to pick up cars from the yard and deliver them to the industry and then swap the loads at the industry with more empties from the yard. It helps them do some problem solving along with teaching them what real railroads do for a living.

One last suggestion would be to squeeze in an interchange track, maybe somewhere in the top left corner of the layout. It gives your line a connection to the outside world and gives you an excuse to run power from different lines.

Yes sir it looks pretyy good . But like Jim says I think you need an interchange so you can reach the outside world .Also in the yard you do need a bit of room for some industries unless the boys just want to run trains . It does get a bit boring after a while watching them go around .

Thanks

Good suggestions, gentlemen. With the narrow areas to turn around it will be tough but I am going to redo the layout to try and include some of the suggestions.

Thinking about it, having a more realistic design will keep them interested longer. For all the work that will go into building it, I think it would be worthwhile to have it a little more interesting.

I am going to the "drawing board" and see what else I can come up with. I'll post the next revision and you guys can give me your input.

Thanks

Suggestions?

I found a written description of the complex ladder but I did not really understand what it was saying. I am not the brightest bulb in the fixture I guess :eek: . I did not find any pictures, a picture is worth a thousand words. So if someone has a link to a picture of the concept that would help.

I wish I had more room in the legs, but honestly I would rather have less flexibility in the layout than have the boys climbing/leaning on it.

The lower LH corner will be at an elevation (mesa), the upper RH will be a mountain (coming around the mountain). The red will be raised at the mesa elevation all the way. The two narrow legs will be a valley.

Thanks again

I looked at the picture and that definitely makes sense. I think my table branch may be a little to short to make use of the idea, but I see why you should use it. I may start having to negotiate a bigger room in the house...

Back