Marklin Passenger Cars

I am thinking of buying a set of Marklin Passenger cars. I like that they are constructed of aluminum. They are expensive, so before I buy them I'd like to how as much about them as possible.

Anyone have an opinion of these cars? Are they lighted? If so, how does the lighting work? Off track voltage?

Thanks a lot,

Tom

Don't buy them. Marklin is designed to run on 3-rail AC like Lionel. The wheels will short between 2-rail systems since there is no insulation on the wheels. Or at least they have always been like that.

To my knowledge no one even sells wheelsets to convert them to 2-rail. They may be available under the Marklin 2-rail brand, Trix.

Cjcrescent,

I am looking at HO moels, if it makes a difference.

Thanks,

Tom

No it doesn't.

Marklin for years have made all their trains the same way. 3-rail. They developed a "stud" system where instead of a third rail down the middle of the track, like Lionel, they put studs on each tie to deliver the electricity to the engine. By using AC they got around having the electrical problems that 2-rail modelers have. Example; With the 3-rail AC, there is no polarity problem on a reverse loop.

Cjcrescent,

Thanks for sharing your expertise. Maybe you can help me out a little further.

I want to buy a set of ATSF lighted passenger cars. I prefer cars that illuminate with track voltage. If you were so inclined, from what manufacturer would you select? Intermountain?

Thanks,

Tom

Get the Walthers cars. You'll have to add the lighting kits but they are the most accurate, look good and will run on home layout curves, though they recommend 22" min radius.

The Walthers cars are all set up for lighting and it's easy to add the lighting kit at something like $13 a car. Bachmann Spectrum also makes really nice four car sets of heavyweights that include lighting. The only problem with the Walthers cars is that the minimum curve of 22" is optimistic at best. You really need at 24" and 26" is even better. The Bachmann cars have a very neat swiveling coupler system and take 22" curves with no problem.

The Walthers cars are all set up for lighting and it's easy to add the lighting kit at something like $13 a car. Bachmann Spectrum also makes really nice four car sets of heavyweights that include lighting. The only problem with the Walthers cars is that the minimum curve of 22" is optimistic at best. You really need at 24" and 26" is even better. The Bachmann cars have a very neat swiveling coupler system and take 22" curves with no problem.

True, 24" is better, but Walthers cars also have a swiveling coupler system that is actually better than the Spectrum cars, and one other BIG advantage...They're models of actual Santa Fe cars. The Spectrum cars are a hodge podge of mostly Pennsy or other prototypes and the rivet detail on them is visible from space! :eek: Guess it depends on what makes you happy!

If you're not gonna build them, (nowadays they'd have to be scratched!) go with Walthers cars for the reasons stated. But if fund$ are a problem the Spectrums will do you well.

If you are buying something fairly recent, DC wheelsets are available and often listed next to the model description in the catalog. DC wheels for Marklin items have always been available even before Trix was purchased as before then Marklin DC items were marketed under the "Hamo" name.

If you are buying something fairly recent, DC wheelsets are available and often listed next to the model description in the catalog. DC wheels for Marklin items have always been available even before Trix was purchased as before then Marklin DC items were marketed under the "Hamo" name.

I knew DC items were available under another name like Trix, the current "company", but I didn't know Hamo was a previous name. When I worked at a LHS in the '70s and 80's, we had a Hamo piece that had been special ordered, but never picked up.

This model absolutely fascinated me. I should have bought it for the novelty, but I was too busy with NA prototypes. It was the self propelled "car" that was powered by an engine turning a propeller. The thing looked like a Zepplin moving down the track with a propeller in its butt!:D

I didn't know that Marklin had wheels sets for DC as a separate item. We sold such a small amount of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
jetavdk,

Thanks so much. I do not know which way I am going to go with this purchase. I'm tellin' ya, the more I get into this wonderful hobby the more I see just how intricate it is. I can see why it's referred to as hobby and not toys!

Thanks,

Tom

UP2CSX,

Passenger cars are more for my six-year-old daughter, who owns me, than anyone. She absolutely loved seeing an old cast iron American Flyer Hudson pulling two lighted passenger cars. I suspect that this is what piqued her interest in trains.

As much as I hate being separated from my money, I will spend a few more bucks to get a set of passenger cars that illuminate as voltage is increased to track. With the aftermarket lighting kit of which you wrote, does it cause the so installed car to illuminate with track voltage? I am not too sure a Ripido-style illuminating setup will be right for me.

I just wish it were as easy as going to my local hobby shop and walking out with what I want.

BTW, when I drove to the 15 Fwy on the CA 138 yesterday, I saw about six unusual cars on the tracks. There appeared to be a locomotive attached, although it was yellow and not readily apparent as a locomotive. It almost looked like a rolling hotel. There appeared to be a series of air conditioning units atop a couple of the cars, which I inferred to signify individual rooms, possibly sleeping quarters. When I returned home at about 7:30 pm, the units were illuminated as though each car contained individual rooms. Do you know what I saw?

Thanks,

Tom

The Walthers add on lighting kits function off of track voltage. No separate batteries! Spectrums have lights already in, and you might find those at a swap meet or on e-bay for less than full retail. If paying full retail it's only a few more bucks a car for the good stuff, then if she gets tired of them, you still have nice models!

Tom, as Alan said, both the Athearn and Spectrum lighting is from track power although both are constant lighting. That's the way the real cars looked, so the lights were on even while standing at the station. I'm not sure why you'd want lights that vary with voltage unless I misunderstood you.

As for the strange cars you saw, it was probably a geometry train. Different railroads have different configurations. The is a CN train:

cp_geotrain_wliberty.sized.jpg

UP2CSX,

Thanks again. You hit the nail right on the head. The fact is but for the information I glean from you professional railroaders, I would not have a clue what authentic is. But then again, neither does my six-year-old kid. She just had an absolute blast with her imagination. Seeing the lighted passenger cars of my American Flyer set sparked her imagination. She made a hotel where the passengers were able to spend the night. She had their itinerary completely planned. So if I were to get good quality passenger cars that are not prone to breaking or demonstrating lighting problems, I'll be good to go. And from my I have learned here, I should be all set with a set of Walthers Super Chief passenger cars.

BTW, what do you think of the BLI CA Zephyr cars? Any good?

Thanks,

Tom

UP2CSX,

By the way, UP had a crew doing track work on 138 west of the I-15. I thought that what I saw might have been some sort of living quarters for the workers. I had never seen such a outfit like it.

How does RR track work? Does one railroad, say UP, own the track and is charges other railroads to use it?

Thanks,

Tom

UP2CSX,

BTW, what do you think of the BLI CA Zephyr cars? Any good?

Thanks,

Tom

Very nice! Some didn't like that the window blind detail is actually on the outside of the windows, but to me it was acceptable. The models themselves are very nice, and you can pull the train with D&RGW power, WP power, or CB&Q power depending on where the train is running. Our club has a set. Worth having!

I agree with Alan on the BLI Zephyr cars. They are not cheap and a little delicate so I wouldn't let a six year handle them but they look nice running.

The Cajon Pass is sort of unique. The UP and Santa Fe have shared trackage in the Pass since the early part of the 20th century. The SP built the Palmdale cutoff through the pass in the late 60's. The SP is now part of the UP so the UP now owns that line. They now share trackage rights with BNSF on the mainline through the Pass, which is part of the Santa Fe merger. The UP and BNSF split the cost of maintenance although the BNSF is technically the owner of the tracks and right of way.

Back