Making grades

stlgevo51

N scale modeler
Hi all, I'm new to the model railroad forums, but I've been over at railroad forums for almost 2 months. I am planning to build a 6 by 8 layout in n scale. It's my first layout and the table is already built. I want to make grades and I know Woodland Scenics makes foam risers. But I believe the minimum grade is 2 percent. I want my grades to be 1 percent at the max. Is there any other foam risers? I might just have to make my own grades, which would be hard on a first layout. Help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what the Woodland Scenics risers are made of, but could you just cut them down to what you want them to be?

How much run do you have and how much do you have to rise? The WS 2% risers are calculated on a 16 foot run. If you have more run or less rise, you can use the incline starter sets to increase the run of your grade and decrease the percentage grade.

I have used the WS risers. They are easy to use when you have them in the grade you want. Cutting them to make another grade would not be easy. Might as well buy foam board and just try to cut it to the grade you want. I did not have much luck cutting foam into the grades I needed. It's a very long shallow cut.

The next time I plan on creating any grades, I think I will just use some 1/8" thick hardboard or luan ply cut to the width I need and just support it with scraps of foam every few inches. If I wanted a constant 1% grade, I could easily do that for 8' with a strip from a sheet of plywood. I think the 1/8" material would be easy to bend to accomodate a smooth transition from the flat part to the slope and then back again at the other end.

I use foam board and a hot wire foam cutter to trim the foam out. it gives you a ferm road bed and you can make the grade as you go along. the transition is the most important part so focus at those ends.

Trent

I have not used the hot wire cutter. I have heard it is really good for cutting the foam. I am not sure how good it would do for making a long straight cut for the grades, though. For a 2" grade, you are cutting such a small angle. Only 2" difference in about 8 feet of lenth. I don't think I would be able to cut that long of a path without having it all wavy. I guess you could lay, or clamp a straight edge along the line you intend to cut, and then drag the cutting wire against it to make the angle.

Thanks. I don't currently have a hot wire cutter but I have heard they are excellent tools for cutting through foam. Maybe I should look into one.

A wire cutter, deffently when building a layout, tools are expensive, but the right tools make the job easier and the output better. Mike

I'm not sure why everyone is talking about cutting the risers. We're talking n scale which means we are not talking about a lot of weight.

Why not just increase the space between the risers by a factor of two and you have a 1% rise. If you are worried about structural integrity go to an art store and pick up some 3/16 foam board, cut it into strips and use that as a sub roadbed.It will be plenty strong when you add the cork or foam roadbed.

I'm more concerned that you are thinking about building your layout 6 foot wide. Anything int the center 12-18 inches is out of your reach. Try this as test. Two glasses of water about 3-4 inches high. Put one on the edge of the table and the other 34" out. Now take a piece of track and place it on the other side of the far glass. Now take a piece of cloth and clean the track. You'll need some force because the gunk builds up. Move the glass and track in until you can clean that track comfortably. Multiply that distance by two and you can see how wide your table can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
SpaceMouse said:
I'm more concerned that you are thinking about building your layout 6 foot wide.
I'm sorry, I mean't 5 feet. I tried to design it 4 foot wide but I wanted a bridge and the only place for that bridge is on the side. I will probably put in an acsess hatch in the middle for detailing.

Back