Made in America?

Mike, I'm not aware that Woolworth's ever had an ownership stake in AHM but I know they functioned kind of like an outlet store for them in the 60's and early 70's. As you said, usually right after Christmas, Woolworth's would suddenly have this enormous selection of AHM stuff and then it would be gone until the next year. I remember buying freight cars for 99 cents, passenger cars for $2.00, and an IHB 0-8-0 for $10. Made a great start for kitbashing a 2-8-2. :)

Trent, you are living exactly the correct lifestyle to enable you to retire early and wealthy. I'm 63 and have owned exactly six cars in my life, one of which I still have. I haven't had a car payment since I was 22 and always paid off my credit card debt every month while taking advantage of all the perks I could get. Five of us are flying to Cancun next month for a grand total of $63 cash thanks to the credit card company being nice enough to give me 138,000 free miles while I never paid them a dime in fees. I don't think they like me very much. :) If more people would invest 20% of their income in stocks and bonds, max out their 401(k)'s, and live debt-free, most of the economic problems in this country would vanish.

Plus give 10% to charity....Jerry

Plus give 10% to charity....Jerry

Which is a lot easier to do when you're using the profits from your investments and not taking next month's rent. One of the reasons charities are suffering right now is that many contributions were being paid from next month's income. For a lot of people, that month never came. :(

Which is a lot easier to do when you're using the profits from your investments and not taking next month's rent. One of the reasons charities are suffering right now is that many contributions were being paid from next month's income. For a lot of people, that month never came. :(

And then there was Bernie Mad(e)off:(:(--and all those other scandal mongers.

At one time there was an idea that the good times were for stocking up/saving up for those inevitable 'rainy days'. The idea being that a larger portion of profits were shunted aside into savings so that one could weather the hard times that would show up.:)

But---do we do this?

NNOOOOOOOO:(:rolleyes:---and so now we have issues. I think it better to get at the problems BEFORE the problems get worse B/C there will be even Bigger problems:eek::eek:

Wow! Lots of good talk and reminescing (SP?)! I remember when every year my dad and I would go to Sears Roebuck to see the Christmas train layouts--usually Lionels, but I remember when I saw my first HO layout. Sears was where you went to buy trains. I was hooked.
I haven't made a car payment since 1980, and then for the only new car I ever bought. You would think the credit card companies would hate me too since I never pay a cent in interest. Yet they continually send me offers for more. Working two jobs and salary is nowhere near $100,000, yet when I got a loan to buy a house they said my credit was so good I could borrow $1,000,000. Naturally I said no thanks. It really pays to be be careful and live within your means.
One other thought: Recently our Veterans Band put on a concert and we had to search and search for a U.S. provider for small U.S. flags for folks to wave. Finally found them though. I try hard to look for "Made in the USA," even if it costs more.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit off topic but a follow up to the comments of JimmyG. For any US, state, military, or US historical flags or Blue Star banners I highly recommend this company. ALL are made in the USA. They also stock flags of other countries as well.

http://www.cvsflags.com

Back