M420R for the River Run

Looking good Randy. Feel like cutting and hacking two old school Atlas SD24 chassis's for me? Its getting annoying, and I have a TON left to remove.

PS, I love the off-center headlights, same as the GP60M's.

Well Done

You are doing a superb job! I like it a lot. I wish I could get a few of those
with DCC and Sound.:eek: Keep us posted with your progress. Looks great

Here's a pic of it in my favorite color:D

Unit Number: 2567 (re# to 3567)
Builder: MLW
Type: M-420(W)
Class Number: MR-20c
Date: July 4th, 1982
Photographer: Don Jaworski

Randy, it does look like a ton of work to get where you are now. It shoould be something when it's finally done. I'm with you on the headlights - those off center ones always looked goofy to me.

Very nice work Randy. I'm working on a Kaslo GP9RM shell right now. I used a high hood proto 2000 GP7 as the frame/power donor. I had to do some frame and weight modifications as well, so I feel your pain! I chose to use a hacksaw for most of my mods though.

Boy, I swear that doesn't look like a standard ALCO handbrake setup at all. Looks like some kind of shop built railroad modification. What railroad did this picture come from?

Ahh, OK, that was one of the changes made by MLW when they produced ALCO designs. I haven't seen an MLW ALCO truck in so long I forgot about them. That will be tough to model since I've never seen detail parts available to reproduce that pulley system. Maybe one of our Canadian friends either knows of a Canadian source or has done this detail before and can give you some advice.

Keep up the good work, Randy. You are way more of a perfectionist than me. I'd use that flat windshield wipers and call it good. :)

I meant to ask you about those. So they are really hooked up to that brake wheel? You really are a perfectionist. I would have hung some wire off a piece of styrene glued to the frame and thought I was doing good. :D

Randy, being a big NKP fan, I'm all in favor of anything that will look like my long lost love. Are you planning on the full stripe scheme or the simplified three stripe scheme?

OK, well, I know the previous scheme is a real pain to do, having decaled more of those stripes than I care to think about it. It should still look great with just the end striping.

That's true, Randy, I never thought about the issue of the wide nose. It would make it really tough to match up with the side stripes. Are you going to use the NKP font for your road name?

I know the NKP font is available on-line so you could print your own decals. There are also custom decal makers that will do small runs. I always liked the NKP road name font and I'll bet it would look good with your road name.

Back