LCHanson77x

Hello there, I'm looking for a crane and it's flat car that my late grandfather built, that was sold to Scale Model Supplies, in St. Paul, Minnesota along with about 95% of his collection when he passed. It was not my decision what was kept or sold.
I learned later that this build was a winner at one of his GNRHS conventions. This hobby is what Grandpa and I bonded over, and his getting me into model building has lead to me ending up as an award winner in military and automotive modeling as well. It would mean more than words can describe for me to find this model, and I'm willing to pay for it.

It is a kitbash to make GN X5136, in HO scale. It was sold to, and sold by, Scale Model Supplies in St. Paul, Minnesota. I have asked them and they do not recall whom it was sold to. If anybody has any info on where it ended up, please let me know. Thank you very much.

-Logan C. Hanson

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1620132515975.jpg
    FB_IMG_1620132515975.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1620132510114.jpg
    FB_IMG_1620132510114.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1620132512871.jpg
    FB_IMG_1620132512871.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 22
Hello there, I'm looking for a crane and it's flat car that my late grandfather built, that was sold to Scale Model Supplies, in St. Paul, Minnesota along with about 95% of his collection when he passed. It was not my decision what was kept or sold.
I learned later that this build was a winner at one of his GNRHS conventions. This hobby is what Grandpa and I bonded over, and his getting me into model building has lead to me ending up as an award winner in military and automotive modeling as well. It would mean more than words can describe for me to find this model, and I'm willing to pay for it.

It is a kitbash to make GN X5136, in HO scale. It was sold to, and sold by, Scale Model Supplies in St. Paul, Minnesota. I have asked them and they do not recall whom it was sold to. If anybody has any info on where it ended up, please let me know. Thank you very much.

-Logan C. Hanson
That's a beautiful build, I hope someone can help you find it.

-Logan C. Hanson
Welcome to the group Logan.

Have no information on what your searching for, but I wish you good luck in finding it!

We would all love for you to start a thread and show us what models your currently working on.

[trimmed]

Do you have any idea of when it was sold to Scale Model Supplies? Do you know if it was put on display there, or left in its box? Are you certain it has been sold by SMS already?

I've been visiting Scale Model Supplies every couple months for probably over ten years now. I don't recall seeing that flat car or crane for sale, although that doesn't mean it wasn't there. If it was kept in a box, I likely wouldn't have noticed, as it's not something I would have been interested in, and wouldn't have bothered to open the box. I don't recall seeing anything like it in any of the display cases up front (with the mostly brass locomotives). If it was in the back of the store with the used equipment...it's possible it was back there somewhere, I just don't have any memory of it. I also don't look too closely in the used and scratch & dent section, as there's a lot of junk back there.

Unfortunately, unless you get very lucky with the new owner happening to see your post, it's unlikely you'll find who bought it. SMS doesn't even scan the barcodes on most of what they sell, it's all mostly entered manually by price. Thus, when they sold it, the store probably doesn't have a record of what exactly sold, just that a generic used train model of some sort was sold for XX price.

My next suggestion would be to contact the various HO train clubs around the Twin Cities and see if they'd be willing to ask their members if any of them happened to buy it. Still a longshot, but good luck to you.

Do you have any idea of when it was sold to Scale Model Supplies? Do you know if it was put on display there, or left in its box? Are you certain it has been sold by SMS already?

I've been visiting Scale Model Supplies every couple months for probably over ten years now. I don't recall seeing that flat car or crane for sale, although that doesn't mean it wasn't there. If it was kept in a box, I likely wouldn't have noticed, as it's not something I would have been interested in, and wouldn't have bothered to open the box. I don't recall seeing anything like it in any of the display cases up front (with the mostly brass locomotives). If it was in the back of the store with the used equipment...it's possible it was back there somewhere, I just don't have any memory of it. I also don't look too closely in the used and scratch & dent section, as there's a lot of junk back there.

Unfortunately, unless you get very lucky with the new owner happening to see your post, it's unlikely you'll find who bought it. SMS doesn't even scan the barcodes on most of what they sell, it's all mostly entered manually by price. Thus, when they sold it, the store probably doesn't have a record of what exactly sold, just that a generic used train model of some sort was sold for XX price.

My next suggestion would be to contact the various HO train clubs around the Twin Cities and see if they'd be willing to ask their members if any of them happened to buy it. Still a longshot, but good luck to you.
It would have been in the fall of 2020 that it was sold to SMS. I have asked Bruce (I believe in mod 2021) if he had seen it coke though and be sold, and he did not recall it selling but it was not in the store in several of the trips I have taken since then, unfortunately. I will contact local model clubs in the twin cities area, I hadn't thought of that! Thanks for the idea.

Back