Looking for DCC starter set

stlgevo51

N scale modeler
I'm looking for a DCC starter set and I am looking at NCE's Power cab, MRC's Prodigy Express, and Digitrax's Zepher. For all of you who own one of these systems, please tell me the pros and cons. Right now I like the NCE best, but I need to do more research.

You won't go wrong with any of them. I've used all three systems. At this point I'd say check which your local store supports and which ones the local clubs use. That way if you expand to playing with others, operation sessions etc., you won't have to buy additional equipment to do so.

NCE Powercab, 28 functions right out of the box, fully upgradeable;
MRC Prodigy Express, 16 functions right out of the box, fully upgradeable.
Digitrax, no comment....

only thing i dont like with the MRC advanced 2 is that you have to reset power some times when a loco shorts out from a derail. Not sure why It does not do it automaticly. thats my only hold up. its simmilar to the NCE powercab and very easy to learn and use. I like the options it has for a small to med sized bacement layout that I have

Trent

I may have missed some items, and some people may consider some of my pros to be cons and vise-versa, but here is what I came up with:

NCE Power Cab
- Pros: Tethered(can not be unplugged) walkaround, 28 functions, USB PC interface compatible with JMRI, can control accessory decoders, you can add a wireless throttle and base station, can be used as a Pro Cab on a NCE PowerHouse Pro system
- Cons: can only add one additional cab(if you get the Smartbooster, you can add 3 cabs for a total of 4, and the Power Cab becomes a true walkaround), if you do upgrade to the Smartbooster and then decide you need more than 4 cabs, you have to upgrade to the PowerHouse Pro and you cannot use the Smartbooster with it even as just a booster, wireless setup is the most expensive of the three, no seperate programming track output

MRC Prodigy Express
- Pros: cheapest of the three, true walkaround out of the box, 16 functions out of the box, all of the functions of a Prodigy Advanced cab(28 functions, better consisting, accessory decoder control) are available on the Advanced cab when plugged into an Express, can add wireless, wireless system is cheapest RF system of the three, seperate programming track output
- cons: no accessory decoder control, limited consisting, PC interface currently not available, announced PC interface is expensive and only works with proprietary MRC software, no smaller "engineers cab" available, remote plug in panels are expensive compared to NCE and Digitrax panels

Digitrax Zephyr
- pros: most powerful(2.5 amps) of the three, rs-232 and USB PC interfaces available compatible with JMRI(you can even use a circuit at the bottom of this page:Team Digital, LLC Support Tools made with about $5 worth of parts), Loconet, if you upgrade to a more powerful system, you can use the Zephyr as a booster(even an auto-reversing booster) and throttle on the new system, jump ports can make use of old power packs, seperate programming track outputs, can control accessory decders, can add radio, can very inexpensively add infrared wireless
- cons: stationary "power pack" design(if you want walkaround control, you must add at least one throttle), built-in throttle only controls 8 functions(DT-400 or UT-4 plugged into it will control 12, and the JMRI on-screen throttle and the new throttle Digitrax has been beta testing will control 28), current rf and infrared throttles require the user to plug in to acquire a loco(the new radio throttle will not)

thats a good list there Robert

and thats a good point about MRC not being able to use JMRI. I really wish I had that option!

Trent

Back