Looking for cheap drill bits?

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
Does anyone have a good source for reasonably priced drill bits? I am looking at mostly #80 bits, and paying $2.50 for 2 at my LHS is getting a bit old, especially since they break very easy. :D

Any ideas are much appreciated!!

Jason

same here. I bought 6 bits, 3 different sizes. It was nearly the same price as buying a drill bit set in the case.

Run the bit into a cake of beeswax before drilling, and they will be less prone to grab and snap. Some of the cheaper import bits I've actually found with curves in them. Makes it hard to be precise.

I'll second Harbor Freight. I'm not sure how big a #80 bit is, but... HF has a 10 pack of double ended 1/8" bits for $3.99. That's pretty inexpensive.
Doug

<Edit> I just looked up "#80 Drill Bit". I guess a 1/8" bit would not be a great option. Anyway. HF usually has a good variety of bits and decent prices.
Another option... Maybe you can visit a local machine shop to see if you can buy through them.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going through a lot of bits to install grab irons, try skipping the drilling & using needle nose pliers to push heated grab irons right through the plastic shell. Just hold the tips of the grab in a candle flame for a few seconds, and have at it - it's amazing how quick this goes. If there aren't any starter dimples, I like to use the drill just to make a starter hole.

If you're going through a lot of bits to install grab irons, try skipping the drilling & using needle nose pliers to push heated grab irons right through the plastic shell. Just hold the tips of the grab in a candle flame for a few seconds, and have at it - it's amazing how quick this goes. If there aren't any starter dimples, I like to use the drill just to make a starter hole.

Thats a very good idea. I might have to try that next time. I kept having problems drilling out grab iron holes on the rear section of my SD90Mac shell. The top 2 sets of holes were in an area with thick plastic. Broke 3 bits, 1 of which lodged itself in the hole.

hmm, gave this a try without much luck. Are you able to heat the iron once and stick it all the way through the shell? If I got halfway through I was lucky, and I heated up the grab so it was very hot. Either I'm not doing something the same as you or my shells are thicker! :D Athearn BB shell.

I have been putting my pin vise in an electric drill and pushing the shell into the slowly spinning bit, seems to work well, haven't broke any yet.

Just got 50 in the mail yesterday, how do they hold up? I have only used the walthers #80 bits. Who knows, they could be the same thing for all I know, just a lot cheaper from widget!!

I got a box of bits from Widget .. #61-#80

Not expecting high quality .. but hopefully will be fine for plastic

WB05.jpg

.. gotta admit you can't beat the price .. 20 wire drills for $4.97

Does anyone have a good source for reasonably priced drill bits? I am looking at mostly #80 bits, and paying $2.50 for 2 at my LHS is getting a bit old, especially since they break very easy. :D

Any ideas are much appreciated!!

Jason

What are you using to do the drilling? Are you using a pin vise or a Dremel tool?

Back