Looking for advice on dimensions for coal mine

bklynman01

If there's anyone that can help, I would surely appreciate it. My plan is to scratch build a coal mine since my area is a little small and most kits either won't fit or just simply don't please me. I know it's a large undertaking, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I'm trying to plan it all out first, as to attempt to avoid mistakes. I'm stuck on how exactly to lay out the hopper loading section. I've attached a picture of what I'm thinking of so far. Can you guys take a look and let me know your thoughts? Sorry if it's hard to read, picture is from my phone and my hand writing is a little small (it's a curse, I can't help it).

Thanks in advance!!

52ee8916f98bdaa73d464c3a9f40a4ff.jpg
5b4e5d0a795b3071ebdb75ed9523b2ea.jpg
b20faca5a963f2cd8dfc9f9d709d49d8.jpg

do you have a conveyor coming up to the building from the mine? how many cars are you looking at servicing? that and what era.

about the small writing, i write that small, sometimes smaller.

I do have a conveyor coming into the main building from the rear. You can almost see it in the last picture, top left (its cut-off, but there). I figured 1 car servicing at a time. The year is 1930, and most pictures of mines around that time did not have the ability to service more than one car at a time. I did find some pictures of larger loading areas, but my layout is representing a small town (fictitious, so I'm not stuck with any certain plan) so the mine will not be of large capacity.

I took a few drafting classes in high school and college. The line spacing on mechanical and electrical drawings is smaller than college rule books. The result of those clases is that I always write in CAPS, and often I have notes that run two lines within one college rule. The worst part is that the pens I use are typically more expensive than the normal BIC pens since I need the ultra fine points. The plus side is that I always have nice pens!

thats where i learned to write like i do, high school drafting class. did alot of drawings where the writing had to be 1/16 of an inch tall.

i see the conveyor now. the building is probably a good size for a small mine compressed for a layout. there is a plan from model railroader a couple years ago where someone did a modern coal mine in two levels on a 4x8 sheet.

Excellent engineering sketches! Building looks a LOT more authentic than the three buildings I cobbled together from old plastic kits. (Someday I may have time to replace them with something like yours.) I, too, learned drafting in highschool (although I started out being self-taught), and some in college.

I model a Southern Illinois coal mine on a Burlington route branch line. I also have some minor open pit mining in the same vicinity. Not sure if that would have been correct in the 1950's.

Trailrider, there were plenty of strip mines in the 50's. The mid 50's was when Marion and Bucyres-Erie came out with the first of the "super shovels" and the start of the large walking draglines. I worked for AMAX Coal Co. in the late 70's and early 80's in central Illinois. Sure wish you could post some pictures of your layout, Trailrider.

Sure wish you could post some pictures of your layout, Trailrider.
Wouldn't mind seeing a picture of your structures!

Also, don't get too excited about the quality of my work. This will be the first time I'm trying a build like this. Typically, one would start with small structures and work their way up. Not me - too excited about being able to build it myself. Also, the amount of wood, paint, and chalk it will take to get this done will still be cheaper than any kit, AND it will be the exact size I need for this layout instead of trying to "work it in".

We'll see how this goes. I plan to try and get started this weekend. Thanks for the feedback guys!

I have a digital camera, but not sure how to post photos. Any help in that regard would be appreciated.
Route of the Zephyrs!

Back