Logging Locomotives

Im sure this has been asked a million times but Ill ask anyways.

Here is my deal. I have room left on top of a mountain that I could run a simple log loader, and all I want to do is run a train straight up the mountain and straight down again, no switching, just up to the top, load, and back down again. I really don't even want to turn it around.

Is there a real locomotive designed to do that kind of thing? And how far (miles) in real life would an engine push a load of cars backwards? Is there an HO scale model that works for this better than others? It isn't a steep slope, like 5" rise over 3 feet or so (haven't decided yet)

That is a really steep slope, like 14%. Might have a tough time getting something up that slope.

The Shay is a gear driven loco that was used on the steepest slopes, I think the max for model railroading is like 4%; the actual Shay could negotiate up to about 6% slope.

I may not be able to get it to fit then, its more of an idea than anything I hate wasted space. I might be able to run the grade longer behind a backdrop, but that kills my hidden staging. Or I guess it could go over the top of the mainline on a truss bridge.....

Did they run shays backwards a lot?

They frequently didn't have room to turn locos on logging railroads........normal practice would be to push the empties up the slope and pull the loaded cars down. This kept the loco on the downhill side of the train in case of a breakaway. I've also seen photos of the loco in the middle of the train with cars in front of and behind. On logging RRs it was usually "what ever it takes to get the job done" so anything is possible. 14% is pretty steep, but you might get away with it if you only do a couple of cars (skeleton log cars are pretty light) and it is a straight run, no curves..........I'd try for less if possible.

In the Appalachian logging it was common for the engine to be coupled to the cars with the front and to back the engine out onto the main then push the cars back down the spur they were logging .. When it was time to go home they would back the engine, leaving the loaded cars tied down, out to the main to turn it around then back it back to the cars to pull them out. Most logging spurs were dead ends.

You could always build a Cog Railway for the logging operations.

From this website about Pike's Peak:
http://www.cograilway.com/about-the-train.asp

Conventional railroads use the friction of wheels upon the rails, called "adhesion," to provide locomotive power. A cog, or rack, railroad uses a gear, or cog wheel, to mesh into a special center rack rail to climb much steeper grades than those possible with a standard adhesion railroad. An adhesion railroad can only climb grades of 4 to 6%, with very short sections of up to 9%. A "rack" railroad can climb grades of up to 48%, depending upon the type of rack system employed.

On logging RRs it was usually "what ever it takes to get the job done" so anything is possible.

Well I guess with that statement it gives me the freedom to make it work!

I all this matches what Im trying to do quite well actually. Maybe one spur for the log loader and one spur for the empties.

I think in my plan Im going to get rid of my hidden staging, and maybe even get rid of the backdrop, that would give me several more feet of climb.

I really would probably only have 3-4 log cars at a time going up or down, but logging was the only piece I felt I didn't have, and I have a mountain covered with trees anyways!

Like MRLdave mentioned, the logging railroads did what they had to. I have a small log loading area but had to use a switchback to get up to the loading ramp. The grades aren't 14% like LASM mentioned, but they are rather steep. Here are a few photos.

IMAG0116.jpgIMAG0117_BURST002.jpgMisc trains 012.jpg

As mentioned, you'll be pushing empties up the grade which shouldn't weigh a lot. This switchback is about9 feet long and by using the switchback the grades aren't as steep. You could possibly gain the height you want by using a switchback, which was quite common on logging railroads. I only have room for a locomotive and 2 cars in this operation. Going down grade, GRAVITY ALWAYS WORKS.

Attachments

• IMAG0282.jpg
    IMAG0282.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 145
Nice pictures!

That's actually a pretty good idea, it would double the length of the logging road and it would meet the mainline where I think it would look a lot better coming in from the left instead of the right and I wouldn't have to go as steep either, only a three inch drop in 6 feet or so. Then it could drop the loaded off at a depot instead of on a random siding. Nice Im going to try and make that work. What number of turnout works best for a switchback?

Back