Logging lift

Richard V

I posted this on another board but got only responces regarding trams and more modern than I’m interested in.
“Funicular for logging
As with most with "HO" layouts the space is limited. So instead of a long incline or switch back to get to a second layer I am thinking of a funicular type system. I have seen photos of this in real life so it would be realistic. The rail cars would be loaded onto a platform and that platform can be raised up an incline on tracks to a higher rail with a winching system.
Does anyone have pictures or at least ideas how a lifting winch could be accomplished? I'm thinking it would be disguised as a shack with steam power at the top. I have discussed how it works with an older gentleman who had one shown to him as a youth. The winch and cable blocks came from a steam shovel. The rest being hand built on site.”
I later added this description.
“Maybe my use of the term "funicular" was inappropriate. This isn't a public tram but a logging operation that has some similarities. I'll try to describe what I'm looking into.
There's two sets of tracks running parallel, one at the bottom of the hill and one at the top running across the side of the hill. They meet with a pair of parallel tracks that are perpendicular to them and run up/down the hill like a ramp. On each of these ramp tracks is a flat car. On top of these flat cars is a rigging that ties them together and has a level platform on top with a set of tracks perpendicular to the ramp and parallel to the main tracks.
An empty flat car is loaded onto the platform track at the lower level track and raised up to the logging track on the ramp track, where it is replaced with a loaded car. Then the loaded car is lowered to the main track and removed. The work car is always level like the passengers on the funicular tram. These were also used for box cars with supplies and passenger cars. There was a set of stairs for those that didn't care to take the ride, just like the escalators in a store.
I hope this helps.
What I'm looking for are pictures of some so I can make it somewhat realistic and a motorized hoist system that will be camouflaged to look like steam. For the locking mechanism at the top I can use the device the turns the tail on my wrecked RC plane.
Did I say this is for a pulp wood operation in northern Wisconsin and Michigan, not those huge lumber logs. 40' flats with logs stuck in pockets for end bulkheads.”
Could anyone here be of some help? Thanks.

I grew up here in Washington and in a logging family. I've been studying and modeling logging by rail most of my life. What you describe is unfamiliar to me. Not that it wasn't or couldn't be done. It certainly would be unusual.

Steve

I've seen that modeled before, but darn if I know where. I did find a picture of what you're looking to build, though. I know you say you're doing logging and not passenger, but this is exactly the same. A very steep railway that actually puts the car onto a platform that is then towed by cable from point a to point b, at which time the car then rolls off onto standard rails and continues on its way. I'll keep looking for more pics, but this ought to get you started with ideas.

Attachments

• incline.jpg
    incline.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 133
Examples Part 1

So here's what I found. Nothing that EXACTLY matches what you're asking for to a T, but there should be enough here to give you a very good idea of what such a thing might have looked like. I did also find the model railroad example I was thinking of. So anyway, hope this helps.

Attachments

• 220px-DinorwicQuarryIncline.jpg
    220px-DinorwicQuarryIncline.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 4a13294a.jpg
    4a13294a.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 4a11633a_preview.jpg
    4a11633a_preview.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 1-1aaincline2a.jpg
    1-1aaincline2a.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 137
Examples Part 2

Continued...

Attachments

• d535f0b12d6be3257ff07503f8845cc0.jpg
    d535f0b12d6be3257ff07503f8845cc0.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 120
  • CJCgriffingarden_08.jpg
    CJCgriffingarden_08.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Cable_Railway_Gears.jpg
    Cable_Railway_Gears.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 117
  • bellevue-incline-railway.jpg
    bellevue-incline-railway.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 118
Examples Part 3

And the end. Hope this helps. I know you wanted yours to be "sideways" instead of inline with the rails at either end, but really that's just a difference in mechanics. The style and look of it would be the same.

Attachments

• MonIncline1905.jpg
    MonIncline1905.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 120
  • incline2.jpg
    incline2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 109
  • incline1a.jpg
    incline1a.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 108
Last edited by a moderator:
How about "Angels Flight" in Downtown Los Angeles, that's a 35+ degree two way trolley, it's a tourist attraction now but in the "way back" it sure came in handy saving the legs. I'm sure it would adapt to your situation. Although why not think of a slide, and twice the equipment... yummy, more excused to expand that roster.

attachment.php

This is some what close but, it would have one car counter balancing the other. One would be at the top while the other would be at the bottom. What I'm trying to model would have them linked together with a set of tracks on the top and at a right angle to the incline tracks. The supply trains are on the side of the hill/mountain so they couldn't come straight on.
I have seen the remains of one that could take two 30' cars up and down and have seen pictures of others at the National RR Museum in Green Bay, WI and a small logging museum in north east WI. There was also an article in Model Railroader about 16 years ago. So they did exist at least in northern Wisconsin and Michigan.
I also would like it mechanized but could do the operation manually if necessary.

Back