locomotives

diablo

Brian Heap
I've been out of it for a few years, and am presently beginning a new layout and it will have small steam locos powering the trains. I am wondering about the Atlas shay, how does it run, and is it a good addition to a mountain logging scene.also I need to know about the newer 2-6-0's, which are the best running and so on? I will sure appreciate any advice on the subject.

Thanks, Diablo

The Atlas Shay is a fine looking and fine running locomotive. They are very short production run locomotives though so they may be difficult to find. If you can, try to get one of the newer production runs that already has the DCC decoder installed.

As far as other steam goes, Bachmann has both a 2-8-0 and a 4-8-2 that both look and run good as well as being good values for the money. There are a number of good manufacturers out there today making excellent steam locomotives, including Athearn, Kato, Walthers, and Con-Cor. Even Model Power has a very nice 2-6-0. Model Power is now a part of Walthers. Go to http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/N_Scale_Steam_Locomotives_s/1457.htm for a good idea of the steam engines available and prices. This is a really good time to be getting into N scale steam compared to just a few years ago, when most of the engines were pretty bad and the good ones cost a small fortune.

Nscale loco's 2-6-0, and shay

Thanks for the help. I still have all my n scale stuff from before, just need the smaller loco's for a short line rr. I have a bunch of kato mikes, one bachman consoladation, and a bunch of diesel locos, and one Key 2-6-6-2 that will be getting a home on a new layout.

Thank you again, I appreciate the help

Thanks for all the help guys, I thought the only N scale shay was the Atlas one, guess I was right. Sure nice to have someone to yak at and ask questions, you guys are terrifiec, now I remember why I love this hobby!

Brian Diablo

Back