Loco window extensions

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
Does anyone sell window extensions, if that is what they are even called, or are they all scratchbuilt? I've searched a bit with no luck. I'm looking to buy a couple for my locos. I've got a couple older Alcos I'd like to put them on.

Here is a photo of what I'm talking about.

Thanks for any help!!

Well, all things are cyclic! Back to the all weather window...

Couple questions about these. Did RR's put only one of these on locos, or was there one on each window? And if there was only one, was there a certain side it was on? Drivers, firemans side, don't ask me which is which.

Also, I picked up the details associates windows, they fit my GP9, but not my RS-1, any idea where they make wider ones?
I have a copy of the December 2008 Railroad Model Craftsman that contains the article "modeling a phase II RS-3" which shows a wider weather window, but it is not listed in the bill of materials.
thanks, Jason

Depends on the railroad. Some railroads only have them on the engineers side.

From what I see....if it was installed on a loco they were on both sides. Now with that said. its not to say that a loco has to have both sides with one.

Don't be so bold, that is most certainly not true. The DT&I, which I model had rarely if ever installed their 2 or 3-pane style A/W window on the fireman/conductor side. CP Rail had the same ideology.

Don't be so bold, that is most certainly not true. The DT&I, which I model had rarely if ever installed their 2 or 3-pane style A/W window on the fireman/conductor side. CP Rail had the same ideology.
thats why I stated my comment?

From what I see....if it was installed on a loco they were on both sides. Now with that said. its not to say that a loco has to have both sides with one.

Trent

My observation is that all weather cab windows were more common on engines that would be doing a lot of pick up and set out work, like the smaller Alcos and Geeps, and, even more commonly, on yard switchers. That's because the fireman would have to call out track conditions and car locations and needed the all weather window, so he could see without flooding the cab with cold air from an open window. Road units were more likely to have the all weather window on just the engineer's side, since the fireman rarely needed to have a view of the track or train. This is a very general observation. Actually adding all weather windows should be done using prototype photos, since the use of all weather windows was up to each railroad.

Back