Local freight train switching / operations question

Yannis

Hi all,

I am considering changing around some industrial tracks on my layout (in order to get rid of a major industrial siding on an incline) and i got the following issue to figure out.

Would the following make sense: A local freight train leaves lets say a yard (originating point) going north, switches industries north of the yard, returns, goes past the yard (without entering the yard),goes south of the yard, switches industries south of the yard and then returns to the yard to terminate?

There is a turnout on my double track mainline leading to an industrial siding on my layout. It is location is approximately in the middle of the yard area. Therefore a train leaving the yard going south would have to back up in order to switch this siding or if it is northbound it would have to perform the scenario in question above. What would make more sense in the prototype?

Many thanks for your time, and apologies if it is a silly question.

The turnout i am talking about is the one with the red arrow pointing at it.

CurrentLayoutRevised.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are three types of locals:
- Over the road local that operates from A to Z and ties up at Z, then returns Z to A the next day.
- The turn that operates A to M and back on the same crew.
- The yard engine that just switches industries inside the switching limits of the terminal

The crew can be a local crew, they are covered by separate rules in the agreements and are called from different crew lists (boards) than road or yard crews. They can be over the road or turn crews. They generally have to operate on the calendar day they are scheduled to operate.

They can be a "traveling switch engine" (TSE) which is a road crew that operates like a yard crew. Generally they operate like turns or yard crews. they generally operate over a 50 mile stretch of the railroad (so out and back = 100 miles, a basic day). The home terminal can be anywhere in that 50 mile stretch.

Yard jobs work in the switching limits (generally less than 25 miles either side of the yard). Switching limits are the limits set by labor agreement that the yard job can do work, yard limits are the area of the main track where trains and engines can occupy the main track without train orders, an operating rule/timetable designation. Two completely different things, different rules/agreements, different limits, different purposes.

Dave thank you very much for the valuable input.

So i guess with respect to operations/switching on my layout i got the following:

1. An "over the road" local (or a turn if its done with the same crew) is originating from point A (south staging), B is my yard/layout, Z (north staging). While on day 1 from A to Z it may stop at my yard to pick up cars and/or switch road engines, switch one trailing point turnout siding (the one in the far left of the layout with two tanks) and move to Z (north staging). On the next day coming from Z, the local will switch the brewery (right peninsula) and passing from my yard area it will also switch the industries on the now trailing point turnout that i have market with the red arrow.

Question: When this train comes from A (day 1) will it pick cars at B, needed for switching between B and Z only or will it pick blocks/cars destined for industries for the entire A to Z line even if it will switch those on the way back from Z to A on the next day?

2. A yard job will switch the same industries in a similar manner, if i hypothesize that everything is within 25 miles of my yard.

The third scenario which i hoped could work, (that an "over the road" local would originate from my yard but be able to work both northbound (from yard to A) and southbound (from yard to Z) to/from my yard), does not make much sense. This is what a yard job would do if within limits right?

In both 1 and 2 scenarios, my yard switching would involve sorting out cars for/from the local industries so that switching is more efficient for the "over the road local" right?

Many thanks again Dave.

Another consideration Yannis , is that some modelers actually build problem areas into the layout on purpose so as to create more interesting switching. Though not prototypical it does add interest . The challenges , I believe, keep up the enthusiasm for running your trains . Just a thought.

Jim, you got a point there.

I will also omit the crossover which is north of the depot and keep only the one close to the turnout (south of the depot) marked with the red arrow (as well as the original crossovers, the one with the curved turnouts and the other on the overpass).

Back