Lionel Smoke Fluids

I had a bottle of coal-fired steam 3 or 4 years ago. Seems like it wasn't too bad, really. I wish I knew where to get some of the railroad scented oils they use to mix in with their smoke fluid. I'd make my own batches and save some money.
Thanks for the feedback! It would certainly be nice to find the oils to mix in but I didn’t see anything online.

Thanks for the feedback! It would certainly be nice to find the oils to mix in but I didn’t see anything online.
You're welcome. Seems like I searched for a short while a few years back, and didn't find anything either.

Next best thing - look in the candle making section at craft stores for "Cedar Wood" oil (which I have some). That, and maybe "Coffee" scented oil (seems like I saw this once somewhere), would be the only two candle scents I would consider running. The rest are too Tuti-Fruiti for my tastes.

I'd also recommend staying away from food scented oils (sugar cookie, apple spice, hot chocolate, etc.). I suspect that after using any of these scents, you run the risk of bacteria growing inside your smoke unit after a period of non-use, thereby causing foul odors in the future. Should this occur however, JT's Mega Steam also has a fluid to help clean out foul odors.

I only buy Lionel smoke fluids. No good reason, just personal preference. Some of my Legacy Locomotives run close to $2000. I don't want to cut corners.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember when Lionel stopped using smoke pellets. Does any know?
I’m the same way with regards to other things I own too. I prefer to get matching parts or items made by the same manufacturer. However…I’m so enticed by the coal steamer scented fluid that I might not be able to resist haha.

Since I’m new to the Lionel world (and absolutely loving it for that matter), can’t help you there but i’m sure someone on this forum will have the answer.

I only buy Lionel smoke fluids. No good reason, just personal preference. Some of my Legacy Locomotives run close to $2000. I don't want to cut corners.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember when Lionel stopped using smoke pellets. Does any know?
I bought a brand new Lionel Legacy SW8 a year and a half ago. Once the included little bottle of Lionel Smoke Fluid was depleted, I decided not to cut corners either. It's been Ultra Pure Paraffin Lamp Oil from then on out.

May as well go with the best.👍

Back