Lionel Postwar Caboose Makeover

Mixed Freight

Hello All,

Here are a few pic's of my latest Lionel caboose repaint and decaling project. Been wanting to do this for a couple of years now, and finally got around to doing it......
2228.JPG
2229.JPG

The inspiration for this one was an Atlas N-scale caboose scheme (maybe HO scale too?) where they ran several different road numbers over the course of several years. The Lionel caboose was a stock 6257 caboose, if memory serves. It was an earlier version with all the goodies except it had a skinny plastic smoke stack, which I didn't like. So I scratch-built one out of brass to more closely match their cast metal smoke stacks. I also added a second truck with center roller electrical pickup, which virtually eliminates light flickering when rolling over turnouts and crossings. Painted with Krylon rattle-can spray paints and then decaled with S-scale K4decals (O-scale sized decals would have been too big for these smaller postwar cabeeses), overall it turned out pretty good. A couple of little things could have turned out just a tad better, but still, it's good enough too suit me anyways. Hope you like it.

The one thing to remember about model railroading is.............. if you ain't making a big mess with paint and decals, you just ain't having enough fun yet! 🤪

Back