Lionel LionChief Trains

Bruette

We had a great point come from one of our resident expert Lionel technicians. @Dub

@Bruette said "Lionel's LionChief sets come with DC power supplies. They can also be run with a traditional AC transformer."

@Dub said, "I never knew that about the new sets."

If an expert like Dub was unaware, he is among the best, there had to be more.

I thought this was worthy of starting a thread.

Lionel makes both O-gauge and HO LionChief sets and locomotives.

Lionel LionChief RTR (Ready to Run) sets come with an 18volt DC power supply that plugs into the LionChief terminal track. To run a conventional transformer simply disconnect the DC transformer and use any Lionel or other hobby transformer that can supply 18volts, AC or DC. Provided the power supply can supply enough ampeage.

When using a conventional Lionel transformer (AC) Or any other hobby transformer (AC or DC) set the voltage to 18volts and leave it. The handheld remote will do the rest. Everything is controlled through the remote, speed, direction, bell, whistle/horn. Many even have other sounds and recorded voice announcements, e.g., "All Aboard" "This is the Polar Express" and more for the Polar Express set. All of this is independent of the power supply.

LionChief RTR sets also come with a battery powered handheld remote that wirelessly transmits signals to the locomotive. The locomotive and remote that come with the set are paired to each other. The remote will only operate the locomotive for that set. Lionel makes universal remotes that can be programed to run other LionChief locomotives, but there are some limitations.

LionChief locomotives were designed this way so that they can operate on any O gauge layout, even Legacy controlled layouts. LionChief and Legacy trains work well together. They both work with 18volts AC. Legacy trains are not designed for DC. Conventional trains must be operated on tracks isolated from LionChief or Legacy trains. You don't want 18volts across a conventional locomotive.

There is much more to this story. LionChief Plus, LionChief Plus 2.0 and more!

I will post more about LionChief trains as time permits.

Please feel free to make comments or ask any questions.

Last edited:
I admit I never had to look up any LionChief information. It is only a matter of time before I see one for repair or purchase.
Any information would help. Being compatible with Legacy makes a lot of sense.

1705246593088.png

Steam Locomotive Features:​

1. ElectroCoupler™ on rear of tender (controlled by remote only)
  2. RailSounds™ RC sound speaker
  3. Flickering firebox
  4. Constant control for consistent speed at all ranges regardless of track condition or load
  5. User-selected operational modes: Conventional AC transformer control mode or LionChief™ wireless remote control with AC or DC power
  6. Powerful maintenance-free motor
  7. RailSounds™ RC sound system with steam chuffing and background sounds, whistle, bell, and user-activated announcements
  8. Synchronized fan driven smoke
Additional Locomotive Features:
  • Operating headlight
  • On/Off switches for sound and smoke
  • Chuffing sounds in sync with puffing smoke
  • Adjustable volume (controlled by remote only
  • Die-cast metal locomotive body, frame, and trucks
  • Die-cast metal tender body and trucks
  • Metal frame on tender
  • Engineer and fireman figures
  • Traction tires
LionChief™ Plus Remote Features:
  • Forward and reverse speed control knob
  • Buttons for whistle sound, bell, special announcements, and ElectroCoupler™ activation
  • Requires three AAA alkaline batteries (not included)
1705246657593.png

Diesel Locomotive Features:​

1. ElectroCouplers™ on front and rear (controlled by remote only)
  2. Dual maintenance-free motors (Single maintenance-free motor on select models)
  3. Traction tires
  4. RailSounds RC™ sound system with diesel revving and background sounds for the diesels and electric engine roar for Rectifiers, horn, bell, and user-activated announcements
  5. User-selected operational modes: Conventional AC transformer control mode or LionChief™ wireless remote control with AC or DC power
  6. Fan-driven smoke (on select models)
  7. ElectroCouplers™ on front and rear (controlled by remote only; rear coupler on select models are fixed)
Additional Locomotive Features:
  • On/Off switches for sound, smoke and control mode (smoke switch on select models)
  • Adjustable volume (controlled by remote only)
  • Smoke output from every stack
  • Constant control for consistent speed at all ranges regardless of track condition or load
  • Operating headlights with directional lighting
  • Cab crew figures (on select models)
  • Lighted cab interior
  • Frosted windows (on select models)
  • Die-cast metal trucks, pilot, and fuel tank
  • Metal frame
LionChief™ Plus Remote Features:
  • Forward and reverse speed control knob
  • Buttons for whistle sound, bell, special announcements, and ElectroCoupler™ activation
  • Requires three AAA alkaline batteries (not included)

1705245708432.png

Last edited:
It is amazing how much information a picture can have.
I was always aware Lionel supplied information at their site.

Back