Lionel HO GP-9 "GM 50" Chessie / B&O

I pulled out my Greenberg's Guide To Lionel HO Volume II 1974-1977 This time to actually read the entire book. The experts on this forum have peaked my interest in Lionel HO once again pointing out several facts I did not know and I thank you all for your input.

The first time I used this book I only used it as a reference to identify the variations in the GP9 Lionel HO locomotives to help me identify the Lionel made locomotives as opposed to the Kader made locomotives. Much of the information I learned recently from the experts on this forum was in fact in the book.

Lionel's first venture into HO in 1957 was with all HO products being made for them by 3 different manufacturers. They did not actually make their own HO products until they acquired the Hobbyline diework in 1959. This information was garnered by reading the introduction to the book that I had originally passed over. I really want to find a copy of Greenberg's Guide To Lionel HO Volume I 1957-1956, but I don't want to pay $100 for it so I will have to keep looking.

Lionel's second venture into HO in 1974 was just the opposite, They started out making all of their own HO locomotives and rolling stock in Mount Clements Michigan with the exception of some shells being made in Canada. They ended up with other manufacturers making HO for them.

George J. Horan the Author of the 2 books on Lionel HO estimates that as much as 85% of all the Lionel HO sold was made for Lionel by other manufacturers.

I am not a collector in the traditional sense. I buy every train with the intention of running it, sooner or later. I don't buy trains as investments, I buy them to play with them. I buy trains that appeal to me for many reasons not the least of which is sentimental reasons.

Last but not least I want to tell everyone George J. Horan is in poor health, his eyesight is falling and his dexterity is nearly gone. He has been selling off his extensive collection of the HO trains he loved and collected since 1946. From his book I learned he had much more then Lionel HO. He began with Hobbyline later he collected Athearn, Globe, Varney, Revell and English. His Athearn collection is featured in Greenberg's Guide To Athearn Trains. My thoughts and prayers are with him. It is a sad thing, but one day it will happen to all of us.

Athearn is releasing the correct GP40-2 later in the year...

Terry I never did abandon my Lionel "GM 50" project, in fact I just bought another American made dual drive Lionel "GM50" because it has custom made and painted hand metal hand rails and I only paid $21.50 including shipping. It runs great too! I have put my Lionel HO projects back in the box for now, but I will get back to them sooner or later, God willing.
my most recent eBay Lionel HO purchase
$_57.JPG

I did how ever buy the Athearn Genesis GP40-2 (correct prototype)and you were right it is amazing!!!

Unfortunately, I have ignored HO It is something I should be looking for at train shows. I have a Burlington that has a pancake motor needing parts and the other one has the spring drive. At least that one works. Found that at an antique shop in Maine. One problem is that they blend in so well with other companies. I just need to look closer. This is a good subject. Collecting is a challenge just trying to locate it. PLus it gives me an excuse to look at an HO table at a show. So far I have not seen a dual motor Lionel HO. The Lionel engine just sits on my table....Waiting for something to happen.

Train wise I have been doing a parts inventory. I have a 2055 that needs everything, When I bought it, I got a shell and motor.
Then J have a 224 also. I just got both of them running with reverse units. The 224 I had for a long time. A parts project starting with just a motor and shell. Since starting on that project, I have acquired two more.

Back